November 24, 2017, 12:23:20 AM

Author Topic: dogs ?????  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Juandogg

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When in Doubt DTFB
Re: dogs ?????
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »
Alright here ya go this is the Plott version and if anybody got any other suggestions throw them in.

First off start with a pup outta coon huntin stock
Second teach that thing to come in when its called
Third get it usin its nose young  trail hotdogs or somethin like that
Get a coon in a live trap and let the pup smell it and get a little worked up bout it

Turn the coon loose close to a tree 10-15 feet is good start eencourage the pup to trail it to the tree

Run it with a older straight dog when its interested in the trailin up to the tree
After it catches on to stayin treed hunt it by itself

And the most important part  hunt the crap outta the dog
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 01:48:16 AM »
thanks

Offline rifle-man

• Cur......cur this!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »
There ya have it from a coon dog man !!  O0  I ain't never trained a dog for coon .

I am glad he threw in the part bout  " older straight dog " ...............

ain't MUCH worse than a young queer coon hound  ;D
If ya can't run with the BIG dawgs........ just stay on the porch !  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 12:25:35 AM »
Here is a bit of what Plott is talking about in action.

This is Spooks 4th drag and 2nd where I put the coon up high at the end.
In the video he is about 3.5 months old.

He isn`t the hottest pup on the tree but he did what he needed to do for me.

No matter what anyone tells you a pup is a pup.

Some pups you can show a coon at 8 weeks old and they will fire right up.Some may be a year old before they will.

You really need to know the paticular dog your messing with well.

Don`t try and over load a young pup.

Note at the end of the video Spook just sits.I quit and praised him a good while.

Honestly I should have quit when he was still hot but I got excited and liked what I was looking at.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:29:05 AM by Techno »

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »
Alright here ya go this is the Plott version and if anybody got any other suggestions throw them in.

First off start with a pup outta coon huntin stock
Second teach that thing to come in when its called
Third get it usin its nose young  trail hotdogs or somethin like that
Get a coon in a live trap and let the pup smell it and get a little worked up bout it

Turn the coon loose close to a tree 10-15 feet is good start eencourage the pup to trail it to the tree

Run it with a older straight dog when its interested in the trailin up to the tree
After it catches on to stayin treed hunt it by itself

Plott speaks the gospel here. Nothing is more important than starting with a good dog in the first place. It's real dis-heartening to spend a lot of time training a dog that just don't have "it".  Also you may have the most jam-up, hard-charging coonhound in the state, but he isn't much good to you if he won't come. Next comes the trailing, just like plott says. Food is a good start because it is it's own reward. Gradually, graduate your pup to a drag. Doggie chew toys and/or stuffed animals doused in coon scent will get your pup started trailing the right stuff. When he finds it, a game of tug-of-war with the quarry will be his reward. A good next step, is to put the quarry on a string and pull it up over a low-hanging limb. Most pups that have been excited by the drag game will immediately tree at the sight of mr. teddy bear up a tree. When he begins to lose interest, the quarry can begin to "climb" down and get him fired up again. All the while, praise your dog and hype him up. When he see's his first coon-in-a-cage, the scent will help to fire him up too. If you can't catch a coon, a cat sprayed liberally with coon scent will suffice. Just make sure you shoot the first few kittys dead before letting a young pup catch hold of them. A wounded, pissed off, old tom can put a hurtin' on a pup and set your training back.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 09:36:15 AM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
Food is a good start because it is it's own reward. Gradually, graduate your pup to a drag. Doggie chew toys and/or stuffed animals doused in coon scent will get your pup started trailing the right stuff.

Why not start the pup with the real thing?

I wonder on this myself and since I must not be a coonhound expert maybe youz could explain to me.

I have used only a coon with Spook when trailing and treeing and have had no problems with him "getting the idea".

I can see where if the pup didn`t start up on a dead coon maybe using another method to get it started...but if you have to use something other than the end result wouldn`t that mean that pup does not have natural ability? Or did I just get extremely lucky with Spook doing his thing by nature?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »

I wonder on this myself and since I must not be a coonhound expert maybe youz could explain to me.

I have used only a coon with Spook when trailing and treeing and have had no problems with him "getting the idea".

I can see where if the pup didn`t start up on a dead coon maybe using another method to get it started...but if you have to use something other than the end result wouldn`t that mean that pup does not have natural ability? Or did I just get extremely lucky with Spook doing his thing by nature?
Using a real coon with the pup worked good.  O0 You got a great pup there, Tech!  O0
I really like that pup's voice, too.  O0 I don't think it's going to take much to put that pup across. He ought to be treeing good long before next coon season starts. He was doing great there on the fence. Some dogs just don't have it and never will, but you won't have to worry about that pup of yours, Tech.

I agree with plott's advice, solid gold.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 07:17:59 PM »

depends on old of a pup we are talkin bout round my place by 14-16 weeks old we are usin real coon hides. Although I'm workin on a new trainin technique that is goin to set the hounddogger world upside down  I tried it with a couple of my pups (technos mainly  :twisted:)  and it worked great if I was trainin rabbit dogs  :roll: ;D ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »

I agree with plott's advice, solid gold.

Hey now that hotdog thing will hurt a fellow hunting near an oscar meyer factory  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 09:08:01 AM »
Most dogs will start just fine, using the real thing. A live animal is a powerful trigger to "flip the switch" and bring out inborn predatory instincts. Some pups can be intimidated, though, by a snarling, hissing critter that fluffs it's fur up and looks big enough to whip them. Dogs are also pack animals and can learn just fine from watching other dogs do their thing. One of my buddies has a pet lab, that is one of the finest tree dogs around. He never spent one minute training her, just took her along on a coupla coon hunts, and she decided she liked what she saw and joined in. Now, when you shoot one out, she is the first one taking hold of it. Most of the year, she is a normal house/watch dog, but when you start loading hounds up, she gets in line
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments