October 23, 2017, 11:17:44 AM

Author Topic: Deer with pistol  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Spray

Deer with pistol
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »
I've bought a Doe Tag that I can still use this year and on the new years season.  I'm going to be rabbit hunting with meh 20 guage, but obviously a #7 or 6 shot would not be a smart thing to throw in a deer's direction if i happen to see one while rabbit hunting. If I was to bring a .40 cal smith and wess when I go wabbit hunting, first would it be efficient enough to kill a deer within 40-50 yards? All I have are target rounds and hallow points, its my protection gun. What kind of rounds would i need to kill a deer cleanly, .40s are good for penetration but deer are fairly tough. I've used this gun at the range a lot recently, I'm consistently hitting 1.5-3 inch shot groups at about 15-25 yards respectively.
My relatively small arsenal:

Remmington 870 xpress mag 20 guage [ Betsy ]

Smith & Wesson .40 cal Semi Auto pistol w/ 2 double wide clips [ Mr. Smith ]

Daisy Powerline 1000 something pellet gun [ Brain Buster ]

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Deer with pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »
The .40 and hollow points would do the job, but if you're groups are spreading to 3" at 25 yds, I wouldn't shoot much beyond that for deer.  Paper targets don't move right as you squeeze the trigger like a deer might. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »
The .40 and hollow points would do the job, but if you're groups are spreading to 3" at 25 yds, I wouldn't shoot much beyond that for deer.  Paper targets don't move right as you squeeze the trigger like a deer might. O0

I agree with BC here. The .40 with hollow points will be plenty for a deer. I read a newspaper article where a local "hunter" paid a rancher to let a suspected CWD elk go on his land so he could "hunt" it. He shot the elk with a .40, receiving full penetration and hitting his buddy on the other side.

Most .40's though are semi autos. You'll want to make sure you can hunt with a semi auto in your state. I think I remember you saying you lived in KS. If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure you cannot use a semi auto pistol on deer.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »
The .40 cal semi auto will kill a deer that weights up to 150 pound easy at 40 yards.I shot a doe with my glock  with a factory loaded hollow point she traveled about 25 yards before going down.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline worldsworsthunter83

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • born to kill
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:36:09 AM »
i agree with them^ .40 is enough to kill, but you got to hit him right on the money$$$$$$$$
"Only women and children are allowed to shoot young bucks." Let'em go i swear he'll get bigger."

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »
The 40 cal is a great little round if I was gonna use it solely as a hunting gun I would scope it with maybe a holographic red dot scope.What size barrel do you have on it 4 or 5 inch.I have the bullet from the deer laying around if I can find it I'll post a pic of it.Bullet hit in crease and was in the other shoulder under the skin.If you want a 40 caliber with a little more muscle with a longer barrel check out the 10mm in a revolver/semi auto the longer barrel will help keep the groups a little better.It is like the difference between the 38 special and the 357 mag power wise.The 10 mm will kill deer cleanly at 100 yards.The gun you have will work great out to around 40 yards.I wouldn't try it pass 40 yards with the shorter barrel and semi auto.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »
The gun you have will work great out to around 40 yards.I wouldn't try it pass 40 yards with the shorter barrel and semi auto.

That's only if you can keep all of your shots within something the size of a paper plate. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
I've killed many a hog with a .40. But i like the way my .357 Sig performs better.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
One thing to remember, Those Target rounds I'm guessing are not jacketed and the hollow points are. That jacketing changes alot of things and it probably won't hit in the same place your target rounds do. Practice with the hollow points and reset your sights to match, before you hunt.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
well i have a deer hanging that the cops had to shoot last night because rear end was hurt.He hit it on left side gut area angled up thru chest cavity took out heart bullet is still in deer I will post pictures of it when I find it.

Facebook Comments