December 14, 2017, 05:50:06 PM

Author Topic: Deer with pistol  (Read 7490 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Deer with pistol
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »
Agreed, I always thought of myself to be a very good shot----well that was with a rifle. The first time I shot the M9 pistol I realized that I wasn't as good a marksman as I thought. It took allot of practice for me to qualify as an Expert on our pistol qualification test. I am no where near as good with a pistol as I am with a rifle, but I can more than hold my own! The thing with the pistol is that you have to practice ALLOT to get good with it!!!! Yes, a 40 yard shot with a pistol is ALLOT harder than most people realize.
How true! We are stuck with the M9s, not very accurate to start with. Qualifying with the M9 is tough. I do good with the rifle, but really have to crank down to do a decent job qualifying with the M9. Even though the military is going back to the .45, we will be the last to be issued .45s.  :'(
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
well most of my handgun hunting is done with a 44 mag. I got the 40 mostly for a carry gun but had to try it out for deer.I  personally like to use the handgun adds a new challenge to the hunt.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »
How true! We are stuck with the M9s, not very accurate to start with. Qualifying with the M9 is tough. I do good with the rifle, but really have to crank down to do a decent job qualifying with the M9. Even though the military is going back to the .45, we will be the last to be issued .45s.  :'(
HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that the Military was transitioning back to the .45!!!!! O0 Do you know if a company has won the contract? If so, I would really love it to be Kimber!!!! O0

BBF

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
I was wondering why they ever changed to the 9mm. Was it because the 9mm is more of a international round and just about every country in the world cranks them out.

Should I feel the need to arm myself with a handgun it would be in cal 45 ACP

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
I was wondering why they ever changed to the 9mm. Was it because the 9mm is more of a international round and just about every country in the world cranks them out.

Should I feel the need to arm myself with a handgun it would be in cal 45 ACP

I willing to bet because of firepower.

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »

Quite the contary. If the M9 is good for anything, that's punching holes in paper. I shot competion in the Marines using stock M9's.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »
HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that the Military was transitioning back to the .45!!!!! O0 Do you know if a company has won the contract? If so, I would really love it to be Kimber!!!! O0
Yes, a company has won the .45 contract, but I can't remember who it was. Some special forces have already transitioned back to the .45, but I think they are using the old 1911 until the new pistols are available.

The reason our military went to the 9mm is because it being a NATO round. Dumb thing to do, considering what a lousy round it is. The young generation stationed in the Sandbox has found that out, the hard way.  :sad:  >:(  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
Yes, a company has won the .45 contract, but I can't remember who it was. Some special forces have already transitioned back to the .45, but I think they are using the old 1911 until the new pistols are available.

The reason our military went to the 9mm is because it being a NATO round. Dumb thing to do, considering what a lousy round it is. The young generation stationed in the Sandbox has found that out, the hard way.  :sad:  >:(  :tickedoff
I know for a fact that the Marine Corps operators are using the Kimbers, and they are a great pistol. Hopefully, the rest of the military will be issued Kimbers as well. As for the 9mm round, yes it is a very lousy round!! When fighting the crazies over in the sand bow, you need as much knock down power as possible!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:37 PM »
When fighting the crazies over in the sand bow, you need as much knock down power as possible!

And that's why they call it the .50 cal "Desert" Eagle. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 12:05:44 AM »
You all make me feel pretty good about shooting a pistol.The last time I shot we were shooting at 30 yards calling shots.Once I was 4 inches off from my mark.

I wasn`t using a rest.

Facebook Comments