October 23, 2017, 10:24:48 PM

Author Topic: bow getting weak?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline worldsworsthunter83

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • born to kill
bow getting weak?
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »
im shooting a browning single cam compound, when i first got it *used* it was shooting 70lbs. then i turned it down to 64 65 for comfort. it was time to get the string and cable replaced, and when i did i thought it felt easier to pull back, so i cranked it down as far as the limbs would go, and tested it, shooting 60lbs. is it possible the limbs are weak, or did they put a cable or string that is'nt tight enough???? b/c shooting 60 for me seems abit low.
"Only women and children are allowed to shoot young bucks." Let'em go i swear he'll get bigger."

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: bow getting weak?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
60# is plenty to shoot through the rib cage of a deer. O0  What will happen with strings is that a new string will stretch.  When a string stretches, your poundage will increase.  If you had an old string on it that was stretched, and then put a new string on it, then yes, your poundage will decrease.  Just shoot it a little and the string will stretch back out some, increasing your poundage. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
well if they short strung the bow it could drop the poundage.The browning bow is made by pse.They have been having alot of trouble with the browning Illusion with limbs breaking.If the cables hadn't been replaced recently it could  have cause some drop in poundage due to cable stretch but shouldn't be that much.I don't want to scare you or bash browning because they are a nice bow.When I was setting up a brand new illusion at the bow shop.The fourth arrow out of it the top limb split.That was 70lbs with a 410 grain arrow well above ibo.Check with the shop you had the cables and string put on to make sure right one was put on.There is some difference between quality strings and cheaper after market strings but shouldn't be that much.Have them double check there work to see if something was done wrong.Have them check the limbs to see if maybe some of the laminate used in the limbs may not have sealed right and limbs are weakening you might be able to see very small air gaps in the limb layers.Another thing that could have happened but a good shop should know better was improper use of the bow press when changing strings and could have damaged limbs,but by now you probably would have seen the effects of that.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

• born to kill
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »
thanks for the info. the more i think about it, the guy that put the new cable on *made* it work, like he said that should have worked but he had to work with the cable alittle bit. the cable was like $38. is that a cheap cable? dont know what kind, it wasnt in a package.
"Only women and children are allowed to shoot young bucks." Let'em go i swear he'll get bigger."

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:39:47 AM »
Wemme throw in an idiots suggestion. I'm no bowsmith, I have mounted and tuned my own accessories but them cables and strings are for the pros. I had a neighbor with a similar problem. His bow was set to near 70 lbs, but felt lite to him and he asked me to pull it and see what I thought. Now i can pull my bow at 56 lbs, but at 60, no way. I pulled his bow with ease. deffinately under the 70 lb set. As I looked it over I noticed the rod for the cable guide was rotated and barely even pushing the cables to the side. That was the problem. Once we rotated it to the right so it pushed the cables away from the bowstring and arrow path and tightened it, things were back to normal and the pull was again 70 lbs.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

• born to kill
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »
you know MO your on to something, because they changed the cable guide on it because it was pushin the cable and causing what he felt"was too much side pressure on the cams." but now my fletchings get awful close to the cable during release!

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
Well do you have a pro shop or a bow shop that you could trust.Reading your post kinda scares me a little.If the cable guard was rotated it can do so funny things.Was the bow paper tuned after the new string and cables.On the inside of the limb there should be a sticker saying cable and string size.Take the bow to a good shop and have them measure the cables and compare finding against what sticker says.There are different levels of strings and cables,the better ones won't stretch or rotate peep as much.When it comes to strings and cable you get what ya pay for.A good set of strings and cable will give you a few feet per second more, less peep sight rotation, less noise (generally).zebra strings or barracuda strings should work good for what you want.If you want to step up winters choice makes a nice string those are the strings that come standard on the new Mathews. 
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

• born to kill
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
im gonna take a pic of the bow from the shooters point of view, so you can see what im talking about. i'll have it up at 2 eastern time.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »
My 60# was cranked down and I was pulling it like my 45# recurve. The string had stretched, so the bow guys put a couple more twists in it and it tightens to 59# now. Tell us if that was the problem, I am curious to know if libs would weaken like that. Usualy they just split.

• born to kill
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »
here is the best pic i could take, notice how close the fletchings are to the cable guide. if i dont position my arrow a certain way they hit on release. it wasnt like that before. so i dunno, sounds like i need to get my wallet out again.

Facebook Comments