October 18, 2017, 04:35:33 PM

Author Topic: bow getting weak?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline worldsworsthunter83

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • born to kill
Re: bow getting weak?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 02:18:41 PM »
BTW, im left-handed. holding it like that just for the pic :idiot2
"Only women and children are allowed to shoot young bucks." Let'em go i swear he'll get bigger."

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 07:44:57 PM »
I think you got screwed on the guide, thats awful close and looks very close to vertical. I don't think I've ever seen a set up bow with the cables quite that verticle. You might try some talc on the cables and look for traces of contact after shooting. As long as it don't hit, no problem, but the slightest contact is a nightmare. As hoyt asked, has it been tuned since the new cables ? Tuning it will tell alot more of the tale. Clearance now, might disappear as you approach the tune points and interferrance may disappear.
 Personally, I'd make him put the old guide back on, unless you still have it(do it yourself) and start over tuning it. I just don't have any confidence in that set-up. That looks so close that a change in shaft sizes or different make/model of fletchings might make the difference in hit and no-hit. It's just too dang close.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
well the general rule of thumb put your index finger between the string and the cables should fit without touching.When you shoot the bow does the edge of your vanes get a rub mark or kinda a crease along the edge of them.From the pic it looks like the bottom vane is almost touching already.I can't tell from the picture if the cable guard rod is adjustable or not.If it is adjustable looks like it is rotated in towards string to much.I'm more inclined to say it is a string cable issue.I would advise you to take it to a quality bow shop and have it looked at because something isn't right.Was this bow paper tuned after the new string installed. I was wondering do you use a peep sight.Hey could you measure from the back of the rest shelf (not the rest) to the string.Then check on the browning bow site for your bow,see what they have posted for brace height in the description for your bow.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:17:29 AM by bighoytman »
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 08:55:42 AM »
Yeah, my fletchings have been hitting the bus cables and warping. Anybody know what to do to fix that if your cable guide rod is straight?

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »
Well tenderfoot what size vane are you shooting and rest. You have a tuning issues. I would say to go to a good shop and have it checked out along with paper tuned.I would say without paper tuning it rest needs to be moved.Can you adjust the vanes by turning the nock so they don't touch.This will cause a big problem if shooting fixed blade heads.How are your arrows hitting the target straight or nock high or low or left or right tilt.

Offline worldsworsthunter83

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • born to kill
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 09:44:37 AM »
i did not paper tune the bow *im a bum* my cable was on the other side of the rod before they touched it. had all the clearance in the world. i also think im getting some stretch in the string cuz the peepsight starting to twist enough were you have to strain to look through. i just think its ridiculious that i have to spin my vanes perfect for it not to touch. hard to do when its dark in the morning! when i do shoot i think im getting some nock high left. (lefthanded)
"Only women and children are allowed to shoot young bucks." Let'em go i swear he'll get bigger."

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
well the cables being moved over will cause major pain in the butt problems.I would get that fixed first then paper tune it. Because it sounds like a clearance issue causing the  nock issue.Once the bow cable issue is resolved it could take care of peep trouble.But it might not WE ALL HAVE TRIED TO SAVE A BUCK OR TWO.When it comes to strings a good quality is worth it's weight in gold.The peep rotation that drives ya nuts shouldn't be there,a few extra feet per sec is possible,less wear of string usually,less stretch in string,and sometimes less noise.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
well, hoyt my arrows used to hit straight in...then they started hitting at an angle(cannot reacalt the moment and its dark so Icannot find out) what does "paper tune" mean? And how would changing my knock direction to move the vanes out of the way be a problem with broadheads? The set up I have requires that Ishoot the art fletching upwards becase my drop-away does not fall low enough to clear the fletchings any other way. Merry Christmas Ya'll! I got some duck calls, some arrows, some waders, some hot hands, c'mere deer attractant, shells, a gift card to the hunting store and anything else that has to do with hunting....too bad the season doesn't last much longer, then Ihave to put all of my gifts away for a half year.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »
well paper tuning is =The shop will have a pice of paper held tight in a holder you shoot the bow thru paper if the arrow does not make a bullet hole thru the paper the bow is out of tune.The way the tear is left right up or down will tell wich way to move things to tune the bow.If the arrows are hitting side ways in the target you are loosing kentic enegery.With fixed blade heads it will effect the way the arrow flys.   CLEARANCE ISSUES= if feathers or vanes are touching rest this will effect accuacy,wear on fletchings ect.with a drop away feathers/vanes should not touch.Was the rest set up at a shop or did you do it. :shock: :shock: :shock:because it does not stabalize the flex in the arrow as well or for as long, so some shots land a bit off-kilter. They all land on target, though. Are the arrows the right spine for the bow not right right spine could cause this also.I didn't see a peep sight on your bow do you just use the kisser button.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 10:46:33 PM by bighoytman »

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 11:33:20 PM »
Hoyt pretty much covered the paper tune, if you didn't quite understand, let us know and someone can break it down a little more for you. I'll add that any contact with the vanes during the fireing cycle will F-up your tune and consequent arrow flight. As far as the knock/fletch relationship, if you picture a triangle drawn from the tips of the fletchings, you'll notice that with one point either stright left or right, the other 2 are vertically parallell. Their parallel plane is not as far from the centerline of the shaft as the one pointing left (or right).Now picture that same triangle with a point straight up. The lower fletchings are in parallel planes further from the centerline. In simple terms, cock vane up requires more clearance left and right than cock vane out(left/right) That adjustable knock business is a pain in the butt, especially if you have to dial it in every shot. Thats why I preferr glue-on knocks. The relationship between the alignment of fletchings and the broadhead blades has been an on-going arguement for decades and probably will for decades to come. I tried aligned and mis-aligned, and it all came down to me the shooter. Perhaps if I were a world class shooter and a fraction of an inch meant the differance between trophy and also shot, it would mean something, but at my level of accuracy, I saw no benefit at all.
 Personally, I'd have the knocks indexed and glued, so they're in the same place every time. If you want, put a small rubber o-ring on the broadhead shaft before you screw it on. That will allow a little flexibility in positioning the blades in relation to the vanes. You may find you have to tweek them from time to time. I also found the o-ring made alot of broadheads spin true, where they wobbled all over with out the rings.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments