November 23, 2017, 10:29:12 PM

Author Topic: Caping a Buck?  (Read 708 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Caping a Buck?
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:52 AM »
I've been searching the internet and can't find any solid info on cpaing a deer to get it mounted. Every source lists slightly differing methods/warnings. I haven't seen my taxidermist friend in a while, and I'm feeling lucky this rut, so what do I do to not ruin my mount. The tempuratures around here are 60-70 highs, so I need to get my meat off quickly, and the cape on ice before it rots(eliminating the possibility of having the taxidermist do it for me).

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Caping a Buck?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »
When your skinning the deer, don't make any cuts in the hide up past the shoulders.  Take the skin off down the neck as far as your can and then take a saw and cut the neck/head off.  Lay the hide out flat and put one side of the hide over onto itself.  Flesh side to flesh side.  About mid-way between the front and back legs, cut the hide straight down.  You always want to give the taxidermist more hide than they need.  Fold the area of the hide where the front legs were back onto the main part of the hide.  Start rolliing at the back end and roll it all of the way up to the neck.

Put all of this in a trash bag and tie it off.  If the rack is too big to fit inside the trash bag, tie the bag around at the base of the antlers.  Take the bag o' deer and put it either in the refridgerator or freezer, depending upon how soon you'll be able to get to the taxidermist.

I know you were probably looking for how to skin the head out totally, but unless you absolutely have to (back country elk hunt as an example), just put the whole thing in the fridge/freezer and let the taxidermist take care of it.  They've done it a heck of a lot more than you have, and if you screw it up, you'll either have to live with a screwed up looking mount or have to buy another cape somewhere. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »
No, I never have never shot a deer further than 3 miles from my vehicle. I can manage to haul the skull/neck. So basically, leave as much hide intact as possible and leave the skull in the hide. Got ya. Thank you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
The thing that most people screw up on is cutting the hide in the area that's going to be mounted, or they won't leave the taxidermist enough hide to mount with.  Check out the pictures below:

See how much of the shoulder is and brisket is on a shoulder mount of a deer?  Don't make any cuts in the hide in that area.  Most taxidermists can cover up small holes, but something they can't fix very well is cut hair.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments