November 17, 2017, 11:46:38 PM

Author Topic: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog  (Read 12168 times)

Offline Sureshot

Field dressing and butchering a wild hog
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:10:08 PM »
Rookie needing info on field dressing, and butchering hogs. My deer hunting buddy and I just got permission to hunt feral hogs in two different locations here in Oklahoma. Both of us are new to hog hunting and I'm hoping someone will be willing to help us out with the proper way to handle a hog once we harvest one. We intend on processing the meat ourselves. We like most of you process our own deer, but most of the info I've found on caring for a hog is quite a bit different than the way you break down a deer. I've seen Big58cal's critter cleaning info and must say it's the best instruction I've ever seen and has been very helpful to me. Just need to add a hog to the mix (easy for me to say). Again I'm hoping someone will help me out with the info, or point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance for the help.
If you can't beat'em get a bigger stick!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »
We used to butcher hogs at home, and it's a real chore. My suggestion for a couple of rookies, have it processed by someone that does it professionally.

I also butchered a big bear at home. They are butchered exactly like a hog. If I had it to do over, I would have taken it to someone and let them do it.

Good luck with your hog hunting!  O0  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
What John is trying to say is that, just starting out, it would be best to take the hog to a processor and let them cut it up, with you watching how it's done.

As far as field dressing, check out the Critter Cleaning area near the bottom of the Forum Index page.  In there, you'll see how a deer is done.  A hog isn't that much different. O0

Good luck on your hunts, and remember us poor starving folks when you get the meat back. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:28:23 AM »
here in alabama it is hot ,so i say gut them as soon as you can and i spray lemon juice in the chest cavity to help stop germs .also if it is a big hog you are gona have to cut the hide of insted of just pulling

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »
Well here in Indiana field dressing hogs goes nothing like you fellers have mentioned...I mean you start doing that to the woman around here and your bound to get in some trouble ;D

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
You would field dress them like a deer. If it's a boar, cut around both sides of the penis and pull it AWAY from the hog towards the tail. Those boars got a bladder of pretty stout musk that you don't want spilling on ya meat. If it does spill out, just rinse it good. Have a couple of very sharp knives and a good sharpen stone. You'll see that your blades will dull quickly. Then you can debone and make all the sauage to ya hearts content. Take a saw too. This will help with the quarting. I like to use a sawalls.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
I like to use a sawalls.

Didn't AB use a chainsaw on his pigs? I'm thinkin I read a post by him sayin he did. Made short work of them so he could get the meat on ice as fast as possible. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
Been away from the computater for a while, sorry for the slow reply. Much thanks for all the input. I've been doing a lot of research and the most common thing I see is that once the shootin is done and the hog is down there's nothin but work ahead, and I can't wait! Always like a good challenge, may not take it twice but always look forward to it the first time. You know that whole "ignorance is bliss thing". I shouldn’t tell on myself, but I sometimes resemble that remark! On the first one I think I'll take Blood_Trail's advice and debone the quarters steak out the loin and try to keep the tenders. Got a good electric grinder, knives, heavy rubber gloves, and a new reciprocating saw, so all we need now is good timing and a well placed shot. No luck yet, but we've only been out a few times. Thanks again for all the input and I'll post pics when we get lucky.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »
Outstanding! O0

The field dressing is pretty simple.  Just open it up and get the insides on the outside! O0  Remember to save the heart, liver, and kidneys.  Don't waste anything!

On deer, I've never had any formal training or really anyone to ever show me what the different cuts of meat are.  I take a big chunk of meat and turn it into a bunch of smaller chunks of meat. O0  The small and odd pieces I grind.  You can do a hog the same way.  Don't forget to save the ribs too! O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 09:02:35 AM »
Thanks Big58cal. My experience has been the same with deer after you breakdown a few you start learning the bone structure and natural muscle separations the rest is deciding on weather you leave it as roast, cut it into steaks, or grind it up for burger, sausage, or chili. I buy pork or beef fat locally, freeze it grind it and add about three percent to my deer grind, not the only way to do it just the way we like it. I haven't had pork liver, but last night I fixed up a mess of deer liver with onions, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms. I cooked up the heart too it all came out real good. First time for the wife to have heart and liver she said I can't give them away anymore. I was wondering about the ribs, now I'll give them a try for sure.

Facebook Comments