November 20, 2017, 06:11:00 PM

Author Topic: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog  (Read 12185 times)

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »
This will help bring hogs to ya:
-Take a couple of 5 gallon buckets and fill half way with corn.
-Pour a couple cups of water along with a couple of cans of beer
-PLace lid on loosely and leave in sun for a week or so.
-Take your sour corn and bury it about 2 feet deep or so. Put it near your setup. You can even mix jello in with it.
-Aim.... :)

Here's a good link on skinning a hog:

Also, check out www.texasboars.com

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »
Blood has some good advice on baiting an area. Here's one you don't have to dig for though. Take yourself the corn that Blood had you sour/ferment and pour it into a PVC pipe. The pipe should be closed off on one end and have a screw on lid on the other. Have the pipe about 5 or 6' long and drill several holes along the length of it. attach the pipe to a length of chain and attach it to one of those green fence posts you hammer into the ground. This way, the hogs will stick around longer and have to work the pipe to get the corn. It's anchored so they can't run off with it, and the holes will keep the corn from coming out too fast.

Oh... and one last thing... Don't forget your GPS family when you have that wonderous bar-b-que. Mmm-boy... Makes my mouth water just THINKIN about it. ;D O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll put the two together and see if I can get the hogs to show up on a regular basis. I just saw some trail cam pics from the guy that hunts the property across the road from where we have permission to hunt and the hogs range from 150-400 lbs. One boar has a great set of tusks, long with a real nice curl on them. Got me thinkin I might have to carry my 44 Mag as a back up.
If you can't beat'em get a bigger stick!!!

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »
Here's the pipe pipe that KS was talking about. They work great and are cheaper than timed feeders. The drawback is that a sounder can burn thru them so I'd sugest you only drill one or two .25 inch holes in the pipe. Be sure to anchor them. Here's one:
http://www.hoghuntingscents.com/

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »
Thanks Blood, Looks like I joined the right place. You guys are great. I'll get with my huntin buddy and we'll spend a little extra time to get the set up right, then hopefuly in a couple weeks we'll be talkin about how good that smoked shoulder came out.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
Hey sureshot, on deer, try grinding your meat without the fat in it.  I always grind mine without any in it.  The way I figure it, you can always add a little hamburger to put some fat in it, but you can't take it out once it's in there. O0  I use my ground meat a lot to make jerky.  Making it out of the ground meat, it's easier to mess with and you get a higher return on your meat instead of doing it out of whole muscle meat. O0

Good luck on the hogs. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
Great idea BC. I havenít made any jerky out of grind, but I have been considering it. I've been looking at some of the jerky kits, but most of them look kind of weak. Could you suggest a brand/model that works well and is worth the money?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Great idea BC. I havenít made any jerky out of grind, but I have been considering it. I've been looking at some of the jerky kits, but most of them look kind of weak. Could you suggest a brand/model that works well and is worth the money?

I don't use a jerkey kit to make mine with.  I do use High Mountain Seasonings though. O0  They make different flavors and they're about the best I've found.  Me personally, I stay away from the mixtures with soy sauce in them.  When the stuff is done, all you taste is the soy.

Mix up your seasonings and meat and let it marinate at least a couple of hours (I do mine overnight).  Lay out a piece of wax paper on a cutting board, place a pretty good sized ball of the meat in the center, and then put another piece of wax paper on top.  Take a rolling pin and flatten it out until it's about 1/4" thick.  Now, take a good sharp knife and slice throught the wax paper and meat, making the strips about an inch or so wide.  Then just peel the wax paper off and lay the strips in a dehydrator. O0

Next batch, just lay out the wax paper again and repeat.  If you don't have a rolling pin, I've used a round jar before.  Just anything round that you can use the flatten the ball of meat out with. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »
I can understand why BC doesn't have any rollingpins in the house.  ;D  :tickedoff  :knuppel2  :buck2 Just ask Mrs. BC.  ;D I think I am going to send her one.  :twisted:  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
I can understand why BC doesn't have any rollingpins in the house.  ;D  :tickedoff  :knuppel2  :buck2 Just ask Mrs. BC.  ;D I think I am going to send her one.  :twisted:  ;D

I do have a rolling pin.  Since the wife is somewhat "cooking-challenged", the only thing the rolling pin has been used for is flattening out the jerky. ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments