November 19, 2017, 07:25:18 AM

Author Topic: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog  (Read 12174 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Field dressing and butchering a wild hog
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »
I do have a rolling pin.  Since the wife is somewhat "cooking-challenged", the only thing the rolling pin has been used for is flattening out the jerky. ;D
:roll: Dang, that's too bad, BC!  :'(  :roll: Well, you are doing your best. My wife was very "cooking challenged" when we were newlyweds.  :sad: I dang near starved, looking at TV dinners and pot pies every day.  :-P  :tickedoff  :buck2
Maybe get her some cookbooks? Naw, that doesn't help much. Most cooking challenged wives just look at he pictures.  :roll:  :-\  :-X
From what Tech says, you are a pretty good chef.  O0  O0  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Yeah, I learned that if I wanted to eat, I had better learn to cook. ;D

Newlyweds huh?  We've been married for 12 years and she still hardly doesn't cook! ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Maybe we should take up a collection and send her off to the "John Andrews School of Culinary Delights"
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Sureshot

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »
Thanks BC sounds like that'll work fine I'll have to give that a try. I know what you guys are talking about. I do 90% or more of the cooking in our house, but I have some culinary background, so it's something I love to do. I'm lucky though, cause my wife is a good cook and really good at baking.
If you can't beat'em get a bigger stick!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
Maybe we should take up a collection and send her off to the "John Andrews School of Culinary Delights"

No thanks. :buck2  I'd rather take my chances with my cooking.  At least that way, I know what's in it. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »
Yeah! I could teach her how to cook stuff you never had before.  :wink:
No thanks. :buck2  I'd rather take my chances with my cooking.  At least that way, I know what's in it. O0
Heck you wouldn't care, as long as it tastes good, right?  :wink:  :roll:  ;D
Just wait until the next camp get together. I promise, no more surprise eyeballs in the big iron camp kettle. And I am going to strain the hair and all the snake bones out of the stew, what I can.

And, I promise no more roadkill jokes while you all are eating. That sight of some of you folks retching your guts out last time just didn't improving anyone's appetite.  ;D Besides, it's not proper to dilvulge the secret ingredients of the Camp Roadkill Stew. Gormet camp cooks like myself have our professional pride, ya know.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have a new sauce for the mountain oysters and a brand new homemade BBQ sauce for the Roasted Screaming Cat Surprise.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:49:23 AM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
Didn't AB use a chainsaw on his pigs?
Used a chain saw lots of times on really big hogs.  Normally just to cut the heads off and chop them in half or forths to fit them in buckets of ice, or coolers when we are going to be hunting for several more hours and didn't have time to clean them properly.  Seems to lube the saws really well aslo...all that fat...my little echo saw ran wonderfully. 

I don't know how many hundreds of wild hogs I have cleaned, but I konw the summer of 99 when I was apprenticeing as a guide on a ranch I cleaned about 10 a day for three months straight...fleas were rampant that year...I watched one of the other apprentices cut off one of his fingers..I had to clean a 748lb hog by myself....it sucked!! 

My only extra word of advice over what the other fellas have said is to not even bother trying to use a cheap knife on a big hog.  Big hogs have skin like you wouldn't believe untill you have seen it for your self.. BloodTrail know what I am talking about here.  You will have so sharpen a crap-ola knife about 6 times while trying to skin and quarter the thing ,so don't even bother.  I have been given a set of CUtco knives that I now use for most of my cleaning duties..I love them and wish I had them sooner...then I wouldn't have had to get so good at putting an edge on a knife. 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
Good idea, AB! An electric chainsaw would be great to use at home. Hey, it's sure good to see ya back here when you find time, rascal! I was worried the hogs ate you and plott. As for Plott, I still think the hogs ate him.
I can imagine you and plott ripping into a pickup load of hogs with chainsaws. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ! It wouldn't take you two long to do the job.  ;D The aftermath would look like a Hollywood horror film.  ;D  O0

Offline Blood_Trail

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 06:43:53 AM »
We use a saw-all...

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »
We use a saw-all...
O0 That sounds like a great idea! It sure beats a bone saw. One of those with the proper blade would wade through the work.
Years ago I brought 2 1/2 big mulie bucks back from Utah, frozen and quartered out. I cut the frozen quarters with a hand wood rip saw. Yes, that was quite an undertaking. I ended up with lots of huge 1" steaks and the rest of it ended up as roasts. The hand sawing of the hard frozen quarters took all morning.

Facebook Comments