November 23, 2017, 11:33:19 AM

Author Topic: What's the difference?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
What's the difference?
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »
When it comes to deer, bear, elk or any big game - what do you think is the biggest thing that gets over looked by most hunters?  From your experience, what's the key that means the difference in a yearling and a wall hanger?   ???

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Re: What's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
It's got to be the "If it's brown, it's down" theory! Too many people are concerned with just taking anything that presents it's self, whenever it presents it's self, without regards of what the games future potential is. It seems to me that too many hunters have gotten lazy! Back when I was growing up in the Mountains of KY, we didn't have 4 wheelers to get us to where we were going; we had to hoof it to the good spots. Sometimes that would mean that we started walking at 4:00 am just to get to our spot before the break of day light! Now a days, at least back at my home town, most hunters will not go to a spot if they can't drive their 4 wheelers and park it no more than a hundred yards from their hunting spot! Take for instance my brother in law, he was boasting and bragging about a 9 point he killed, when I ask him to tell me the story of the hunt, well there wasn't much of a story. He was driving along an old mining road, stopped to get a dip of Skoal, seen the buck up on the ridge, took his gun out of his case, used his 4 wheeler as a rest, took the shot, hit the deer in the hip, crippling it, and then moved closer to take the final shot! So yes, he killed himself a fine 9 point, but where was the hunt? For me, it's not really that I have to have the biggest or most game harvested, for me it is more about the hunt. When I hunt, whether it's squirrel or deer, grouse or turkey, I want to know that I done it all (scouting, planning, stalking, set up, ect....) and that luck only had a small part to do with it! I've taught myself how to hunt and by doing that, it has taught me to work hard if I wanted to be successful. Too many hunters, like the rest of our society, are just looking for the easy way out!  :tickedoff OK, well I'm off of my soap box now!  ;D  Thanks for getting me fired up this early in the morning GUTPILE  O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
No offense Bearman & Hoskins, but I'll have to disagree with you guys a little.  To get "big" deer, yes you generally have to let the little ones walk, but as Bearman put it, outsmarting the critters is one of the main things for people.  Antler size doesn't matter a whole lot.

But, for me, I enjoy the meat.  I'll generally hold off on shooting small deer waiting for a big buck, but that doesn't mean that I won't shoot a small one.  If it comes down to going without the meat and letting a small buck walk, the little guy is going home with me. :twisted:  Antlers are nice, but you can't eat them. O0  I enjoy being outside and watching everything, as well as just getting away from everything.  Quite a few other people are like that I know.  As long as the person is happy with what they've got, then I doesn't matter to me. O0

To answer GP question though, I would say the two main things that get overlooked are wind direction (or scent control in general) and not enough preseason scouting.  Deer can smell stuff a pretty far piece away.  If someone isn't playing the wind and conscious of "how" they smell, they're going to spook deer.  They probably won't even see a fraction of the deer that they spook.  With preseason scouting, you find where the big'uns are (or are not).  Big bucks don't generally hang around with other deer.  Areas that have tons of sign will probably be just a bunch of does and small bucks.  Being able to find the areas that hold bigger bucks takes practice and isn't something that you can learn overnight.  You've got to get out in the woods and spend the time to learn what everything means and "how" things should look when there's a decent buck in the area. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
I can agree with you BC, by no means am I a trophy hunter and I have no problems taking a small buck. I haven't accomplished myself as deer hunter that can pass up on too many bucks at this point! I aslo love the meat and have no problems busting either a doe or small buck to put some venison in the freezer! :twisted: I really just got myself fired up thinking about the lazy hunters from my home county! >:(
I lost track of what gutpile was asking and you awnsered it far better than I could have! O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
Man, I know what the population is like down there where you're from.  The deer are few and far between down there.  There's quite a few big bucks, but finding them is the problem. :tickedoff  Deer is deer when it comes to eating them.

Given the choice of a big 10 pt and a small 4 pt standing side by side, 99.9% of the people will shoot the 10 pt.  But if you go an entire season and the only thing you see is the little 4 pt, he screwed up and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments