December 18, 2017, 05:20:22 PM

Author Topic: pratice shooting  (Read 3445 times)

Offline drew

pratice shooting
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:01:51 PM »
i was just outside shooting my bow a few minutes ago i just got a new reflex so i was shootin and i was dead on but after a while i started gettin alittle iffy idk everytime i go out and shoot i start doin worse i think it's just cuz i get tired and can't stay steady i was wondering if any of u bow hunters out there well if it happens to you or just me....i've been shooting for a long time close to 10 years now and i got one hell of a shot but everytime after around half hour i do horrible....right back and tell me if the same thing happens to you
there's nothin better then waking up at 4:30 in the mornin to get ready to go in the great out doors...

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: pratice shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
This is normal. Pulling back that bow string is like lifting weights. It doesn't matter if it's light to you, do enough repetitions and you'll notice your control start to waiver. Once you start to see your groups widen out, you know your done. As much fun as it is, you don't want to overdo it else you'll end up like BC and his bad shoulder. :-\
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:06:45 PM »
I can shoot about 30 arrows dead on before I start to wobble. I realy cannot do anything beyond that accurately. So I shoot out as far as I can and know that at short distances I will be fine. What is confusing the heck out of me is why I cannot hit squat these past few days. I cannot land an arrow at a consistant height on the target. Some hit dead on and then another two will drop down 5 inches, yet land touching shafts. I was hitting 3'' groups at 35 the other day and now I can barely hit the donut at 20 with 3 arrows. I don't know why!

Offline drew

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »
hey tender foot, i do the same sometime, do you think maybe u hit your sight or something to send it off alittle bit sense the last time u shoot
there's nothin better then waking up at 4:30 in the mornin to get ready to go in the great out doors...

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »
i can shoot about 30 also then it goes to crap

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
No, my pins had slid down about a week ago so I tightened them down so hard there is no chance they are moving. Even if they did move, that doesn't explain why one arrow lands right where it should and the other two drop a consistant distance down...I think my fall-away may not be falling away consistantly and that is giving the arrows some downwards drag.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »
TF, first, check your arrows.  If there's nothing wrong with them, I'd say it's you.  More than likely, you're dropping your arm right as you shoot.  I had the same thing happen to me once.

Don't get discouraged about it.  The best thing that you can do is shoot up close, and concentrate on your follow-through.  Do everything the same everytime. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »
check the arrows but sounds like your dropping your arm.Are you trying to see where your hitting and subcon. drop your arm to see the target.Are you holding longer on target to try and group well if so you might try turning weight down a little.You can move in close10 yards or so draw bow put pin on target shut your eyes and squeeze the trigger on the release,this way you can feel the shot and your form.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
getting to the back to the topic,I shoot alot getting tired is part of it.The average guy puts the bow up after bow season tell summer rolls around.There is a product which is nothing more than a big rubber stretchy piece.It is good in the off season can walk around the house and keep the bow muscles in shape.If you want to shoot longer try shooting less arrows per round.This gives the muscles a little longer break.I also shoot all year long winter ,spring,summer league's.Fall is hunting time.The best thing you can do is put the bow up when you get tired.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »
Like it has already been said, shooting a bow is like conducting any other form of repititious activity, eventually your muscles will become tired. When that happens, it's best to just call it a day. What happens to me is that I will be shooting good, will get tired, my groups will start sucking, and then I usually get very pissed and frustrated! I have found it to be better if I quit when my groups start falling off and get back at it the next day or later on that evening.

Facebook Comments