November 22, 2017, 12:15:38 AM

Author Topic: Whelping boxes  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Whelping boxes
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »
The next time you make new whelping boxes or if it`s your first time making one...here are a few pics and tips to making the ultimate box!  O0

1. make the box about waist high or a little less. makes working with the pups much easier on your back. also, the ground is damp, being elevated protects the pups from this

2. the faded camo tarp hanging over the door keeps rain from getting on the board the pups lay on, and running in. it is attached to a board on the bottom. the board gives it weight so it does not blow around when windy, and also i roll it up and put it on top out of my way when i have the door opened

3. the black cabinet to the left is only for storage, not part of box

4. the piece of rubber roofing hanging to the left hand side protects the electrical outlet from rain

5. the bucket underneath is very handy when worming and vacinating the pups. when i have a large litter, i set the ones i do in the bucket. keeps me from maybe missing one or doing the same one twice

1. if you look at the door to the whelping area, you will notice the plywood center is removable. this comes in very handy when it gets very hot. southern dogmen need to be sure to place the box in the shade. this will be more clear in a differnt picture.

2. you will also see the board the pups lay on sticks out. if you make it fit flush, it is very hard to get a hold of to pull out. this board pulls out so i can wash it and clorox it.

3. THE PLYWOOD THE PUPS LAY ON IS THE ONLY PEICE OF WOOD IN THE ENTIRE BOX THAT IS NOT PRESSURE TREATED. i do not want newborn pups laying on chemical treated wood.

4. if you notice on the bottom right side of whelp box (next to the fence) - a small slot in which i can slide a piece of plywood to block the bitch out when i am working with the pups. you will see this more clearly in a later picture

1. with newborns, i use newspaper, not cedar

2. look at the backside of the door. the wire is there because when it is hot, i remove the plywood. the smaller wire is because a pup got his head stuck in the bigger wire. that smaller wire is the same i use to enclose the lights

3. notice the light. at the top the white is ceramic. if you use plastic it will melt with hotter bulbs

4. there is only 1 light in this box. i now make them with 2

5. notice the heat source is in the corner - not centered. if the pups get hot they move toward the opening - ON THE OPPOSITE CORNER. this gives the pups a way to get away from the heat if it gets to hot.

6. the board the cedar is on is removable. it sits on another board, which is also removable. this way i can take them out and clean the inside of the box. when i have newborns (in the winter) i place a moisture rated heat pad between the boards. this will not put a lot of heat through the wood, but if the bulb burns out it will provide a small place that the wood is not chilled.

1. notice the door between the whelping area, and the outside area. i now make the boxes so that this door is to the front. it is made so that i can slide a piece of plywood in it and block the pups out while i change bedding.

2. also notice the plywood i have in the doorway by the fence. this is very important. once the pups are 4 - 5 - 6 weeks old, i can easily block the bitch out for periods of time. this allows me to block the bitch out in the morning for a few hours, then let her back in easily. i get the pups a little hungry, and introduce them to kibble. but the transition period is made easier as they get kibble during the day, but the bitch back at night.

this also is good to block the pups in the box at night (once weaned) and no stray cat or coon can get in there and take their food. they are protected.

1. notice the ramp. the walls are 2 x 12 pressure treated. do not try to use plywood. it will warp in time

2. for the bottom of the ramp, i use 2 x 4's. i assemble the bottom and then take the skill saw and cut groves 1/4 inch deep every 2 inches. this gives the dogs some traction going up and down. do it before putting the sides on

3. the wire in the bottom of this box is an old design. after a few years (with kids and dogs running on it) the wire seperated. that is why is is patched with plywood. i now use pressure treated decking boards. space the deacking boards by placing a pencil (for width) in between each one. if you do not put any gap piss will not run through, put a larger gap and pups will get their foot stuck.

4. i slide the plywood divider in the door opening so you could see the design. it removes completly.

5. notice the wire on the sides. there is a layer of the cheap s*it, which some bitchws will rip through. i reinfroced it with the heavy gauge wire. i now make them with the good stuff to start with.

Special thanks to a dogman buddy Wes Taylor Strickland for doing these photos and info to go along with.He takes great care of his animals and he is 1 fella I try to strive to be like when it comes to yardcare  O0 O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Whelping boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
So what's up with the rooster? ???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
I can't see the pics here at work (firewall) but the information here is great. thanks for posting, Tech. O0
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
It`s 1 of 14 he has.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
Great thread, Techno!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments