November 17, 2017, 11:46:41 PM

Author Topic: Best Coon Dog Breed  (Read 14515 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Best Coon Dog Breed
« on: January 12, 2008, 04:00:27 AM »
What's your alls opinion/choice of the best breed of coon dogs? I'm thinking hard about getting one for next years coon season! I'll be going back to Camp Lejeune, NC and they have ALLOT of coons down there! I've been coon hunting a few times before I joined the Corps and LOVED it!!!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Best Coon Dog Breed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
Every coonhunter will have his opinion of what the best dog is. We have had good and bad luck with every breed. From the few choices I haven't tried, I would like to try a blackmouth cur. That breed, you can cross train for hogs and other game, too. Ol' plott and his sidekick AB can fill you in about good backmouths and other breeds.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:48:56 PM »
Every coonhunter will have his opinion of what the best dog is. We have had good and bad luck with every breed. From the few choices I haven't tried, I would like to try a blackmouth cur. That breed, you can cross train for hogs and other game, too. Ol' plott and his sidekick AB can fill you in about good backmouths and other breeds.
Thanks John  O0 See, I just realized how little knowledge I have about coon dogs. For one I've never heard of a blackmouth cur, only a cur, and I have always heard that a cur wasn't that good of a dog. I'm not saying that a cur is, I'm just saying that I basically don't know a dag on thing about coon dogs! ;D

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »
Hoskins it`s about like asking you what line of birds is the top...you can`t honestly say 1 holds the top.

Offline hoskins

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
Hoskins it`s about like asking you what line of birds is the top...you can`t honestly say 1 holds the top.
Now that clears it up!!! O0 I can relate with that! Basically what it boils down to is the dog its' self and not necessarily the breed! So basically find a person who has a good rep as a breeder and get one off hum/her, right?

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
Kind of.

The fellow I got Spook from I don`t know from adam.What I did know was the dog came out of proven coon hunting dogs.Not the particular line...but the dogs themselves.

You also have to put alot of work into that dog.You can get the best dog and do nothing with it and have just that...the best nothing!

Your going to run into alot of salsemen in the dog world...do your homework and have it checked!! O0

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:23:37 PM by Techno »

Offline hoskins

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:00:29 AM »
Kind of.

The fellow I got Spook from I don`t know from adam.What I did know was the dog came out of proven coon hunting dogs.Not the particular line...but the dogs themselves.

You also have to put alot of work into that dog.You can get the best dog and do nothing with it and have just that...the best nothing!

Your going to run into alot of salsemen in the dog world...do your homework and have it checked!! O0

Thanks Man!!! sounds like there is dog peddlers out there, so I'll keep my gaurd up!  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »
Not everyone is a crook but ALOT of people are.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »
Let me staighten ya out get whatever the heck ya want as long as it aint a damn Walker. If yer huntin lots of small patches of timber ya might want to look into a BMC or feist cause the vast majority of them hunt closer then hounds.
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline hoskins

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
Let me staighten ya out get whatever the heck ya want as long as it aint a damn Walker. If yer huntin lots of small patches of timber ya might want to look into a BMC or feist cause the vast majority of them hunt closer then hounds.
Let me show my ignorance yet again---- what is a BMC?

Facebook Comments