November 21, 2017, 07:12:22 AM

Author Topic: Beagle owners be careful  (Read 3042 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
Beagle owners be careful
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
well any dog owner for that matter. Just read on another forum where I guy in Tenn went rabbit hunting today with his 4 dogs. They jumped a rabbit in a holler and as they made it to the top he started to hear growling and yipping. He thought maybe they had caught the rabbit so he headed up. As he got closer he discovered his beagles getting attacked by 4 coyotes. One beagles broke away and ran toward him and 2 yotes followed. They got close enough for him to kill them with #6 shot, too close for me!!  This did not scare off the other 2 and they continued to attack his 2 male dogs.  After finally getting them off and peppering their hind ends he commenced to the heart breaking task of getting his dogs out of there. At last report, one dog died at the vet one is in critical condition at the vet. And the others are cut and stitched up at home. 

Where me and Ellwood hunt is covered up in yotes, this whole area is. But to be honest I never once thought that I might have an encounter like this. I even found a deer carcass today that the yotes had torn apart, so I know they had to be close.  I guess from now on the ole Glock .40 cal will be on my side. So to all who have hounds out in the woods be careful and keep them safe.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
Re: Beagle owners be careful
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
The yotes are pretty heavy at night with coon dogs.I could recite countless stories told by coon hunters that have lost dogs to yotes.Coyote hunting isn`t just something to think about...we all need to get out and do it!

Offline rice river

• Do I have a license to kill yet??
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »
Here T-wolves are the problem.  I never walk the dogs without a gun. We never let them run free outside without someone being out with them.  THe DNR actually put in a notice in the local paper that a number of dogs have been taken by wolves.  They said not to leave your pets outside with out supervision.
Children learn to lie from adults pretending not to.

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »
man that is bad

BBF

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »
What a place to live Rice :D

Considering that attacking yotes are a moving target, would carrying some large shot shells make sense?

I carry Buck 2 or 0 when I am out with the scattergun usually having the large shot in the left barrel.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »
00 Buck is a good load, and so is #4 buck.
I am surprised folks haven't quietly eliminated the wolves. As far as I am concerned, wolves and coyotes need to be eliminated by any means available.
Those sheeple people that stocked the wolves without common sense as to why they were eliminated in the first place should be held accountable.  >:(
Wolves have been considered animals to be feared and detested for longer than written history, for good reason.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
Thankfully round here the yotes are actually pretty scarce and what few we have my dogs like to chase and termanite with predujuice course that was also when I could put 6 dogs down at once so now I guess its back to SSS
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Wolfer

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »

Where me and Ellwood hunt is covered up in yotes, this whole area is. But to be honest I never once thought that I might have an encounter like this. I even found a deer carcass today that the yotes had torn apart, so I know they had to be close.  I guess from now on the ole Glock .40 cal will be on my side. So to all who have hounds out in the woods be careful and keep them safe.

Ned

Years ago when I  had beagles South western Idaho was Bad about coyotes On them. Dont know if it was a beagle Talking that brought them In But we always were on watch for Coyotes when we had the beagles Out, I stumbled On to a Simple Method that worked real well. I ran Stag hounds as well and i had a Litter with 2  Pups than were Just a little Small at  a year old to run On coyotes But they Loved them beagles. Problem Solved I just added them to the Pack, twice they saved us from Losing beagles By Hammering Coyotes that got to close.
Another method I have seen Used many times Is hang a small bell Off the collar  I never tried It but Knwow People who swear By It. It seems to Me most Of us run Small hounds for the music and a bell would ruin that IMHO.
Kyle
If there are No Dogs In heaven
I AINT GOIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »
Holy crap. Send a pittbull out there with the beagles  :twisted:
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

BBF

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Didn't some pointy headed Fed Judge place Grey Wolves under the Protected Specie list again?

Facebook Comments