December 12, 2017, 04:58:22 PM

Author Topic: Throwin in the towel  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Throwin in the towel
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
I been sitting and sitting all year long...I've learned to read the deer better and evade their senses...but I still can't pick the times the buck are moving. My season ends this weekend...and I should have 1-2 more twilights that it isn't going to be raining and cold. I could hunt until feb 18 in the other zone...but I'm just so bummed that I didn't get my 10 point who had been making his presence known every evening. I'd walk out and every morning once the sun came up enough to see, I'd be lookin at a fresh rub or a wet scrape. I just don't feel like hunting the last days of the season off my land-it doesn't pay off...the deer win...I give up-time to catch up on my much needed sleep. I'm in worse shape than the bucks. I've resigned myself to hunting for fun and fun only the rest of the year..these bucks aint gunna dictate my life! I was driven by a need to stick him-no more. I lose! Watch out ducks!

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Throwin in the towel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
well I know what your going thru .I have a couple questions for ya.1 is it possible your buck has shed out already.There shedding here.2 how many stands do you have up and are you entering the stands the same way every time.3 whats the weather like in your part of the world when is the rut there.4how much hunting pressure is in your area.what is the cover like in your area is there any natural food sources there.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
LOL!!!  That's funny Tenderfoot! ;D  I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, but that's about all you can do.  I've been there, done that too. O0  Sometimes you win, sometimes the deer win.

Take a break man.  Get some rest and work on your shooting form.  Be ready when the season opens up again. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure he's the 6 point I couldn't take last year(he is rubbing the same trees and scraping the same places), becuase he walked straight at my tree and didn't give me broadside...this year hes 10...and next year I hope he doesn't lose any tines due to age. He is nocturnal...I go out in the evening and then in the morn and when I come in the morn he's already been by. I know he sleeps in this swampish area(not my land) during the day...I've watched him bed down there a couple times. He is also irregular. I'll find fresh prints or something like every third day and then not for a week...then I'll sit for a week and give up on the 6th day and find a fresh rub the 8th day. We had some acorns they were eating...lots of folliage, and mushrooms. I saw him in my yard once during shooting light...I was eating dinner at the time and he bolted across chasing a doe. The first rut just finshed up about a week or 2 ago. Weather has been high in the 70's to highs in the 40's. Been getting frosts about every week and a half. Thanks for the help.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »
I guess that was a premature post....now what else am i supposed to do until morning?

travo

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »
dude, i have spent the last 5 years waitin for the big one to come out. ive passed shots on so many lesser deer, i have lost count. i usually always have at least a chip shot or 2 that i could take any time i go out, but i dont take em. why? i dont need the meat, and i dont want the season to end, and i hold out for trophies. the result? after 5 years of bowhunting, and 3 different brand new bows, i have a couple of racoons to show for all of my time spent. yeah, the big one still hasnt come in. so what? ive been having a blast tryin, and i know that someday, it will happen. positive mental attitude is what gets us off the couch, out in the field, and creates many memories. its that hope, that chance, that keeps us comin back for more, man. so, ya didnt connect this year, so what? didja have fun? then you win. dont give up, man. after 5 years of tag soup, and our season winding down to where we can just take does now, im not discouraged. just bought that new bow, been knockin the x's out of the paper, and am just leaner, meaner and wiser for next year. keep your chin up, soldier. and go take it out on the ducks.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
What the heck else am i gunna do? I realy think he's gunna get by me. the white hair and lack of blood makes me think i didn't pop the lung. even if I did pop the lung, he could still keep going, right? the lung needs to bleed out, not just flatten, right? where the heck could i have hit him to get white hair see the arrow in his chest and yet have him still alive half hour later. It looked like the arrow only penetrated 4-6 inches...I easily saw the chrest. I hit the joint below the shoulder i bet. dang it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:56:32 PM »
Travo, I can't go duck hunting tomarow morning...I gotta trail a 10 point(watch me find him and he'll have 6) He was a good one, anyways.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »
tenderfoot did you hit the deer if it was a chest hit and you got whitest grey hair you probably went low and got brisk.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
I am not familiar with the term "brisket". Let me send a pic of the hair for you guys to look at.

Facebook Comments