October 18, 2017, 08:52:04 AM

Author Topic: Throwin in the towel  (Read 3119 times)

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: Throwin in the towel
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »
did you see the arrow in him or where it hit
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Yessir. Perfect left-right aim...in the middle of the ribs. It was just way low...like 6'' low. But it still looked to be in his lung cavity. The arrow chrest was showing with about 4'' of carbon. So it was lodged about 6-8'' deep. No death kick. The deer just dropped and took off the way he came. He was bounding through the woods with high jumps. I have not found the arrow in the immediate vacinity. He did not rip it out in between where he ran and first bed down.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
how sharp was the quarter angle slight ,sever   on a sever quarter middle of the ribs would be way forward.The brisket is the fatty cartilage area between the front legs on the bottom of the ribs

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
Ya know...the bed down deer was in a heavy thicket, about 40 yards from the shotting. I am not sure it was the buck, though, because there was no blood or anything. I also found tracks that lead from where he was shot to that spot, though, so...?. the immense crashing it made made me assume it was the bucks antlers getting caught in the vines.

If it was a brisket shot what explains the pool of blood as though he paused to caugh it up? The pool is now solidified into a semi-putty that is still bright red. A brisket shot won't kill him, would it? how many inches of the lower chest would you say compose the brisket?

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »
well the brisket won't kill him it can be anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches the blood puddle was probably where he stood for a few seconds to minutes..The brisket area is where the whitetish area and the brown come together between the front shoulders and bottom of rib cage.A little higher into the brown by the elbow is where the heart is.Personally if I hit a deer lower than intended I give it several hours or over night with weather permitting.The corn you talked about indicates maybe a stomach hit.what kinda broad head did you use.Did you notice when he ran was he using all 4 legs did he run with his tail up.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
at the point the arrow hit the deer did you hear a loud smack,dull thump or a whump.The loud smack is usually a bone hit(shoulder or spine or leg) a dull thump  is generally a rib cage hit.The hollow whump kinda noise and the deer hunches is usually a gut hit.Deer can hunch when shot in the liver but liver is usually a higher hit and dark blood.If you can find the arrow it will give you clues.If it has green or brown slime on it and smells it was gut shot but with quartering shots this can not always be a bad thing depending on how sever the quartering angle was.A fatty kinda smear on the arrow is usually a brisket hit or very high hit near the spine.The color of hair on the arrow could give a general idea of the exit.Not always but most often a very well hit deer will tear out of there (we call it the death run) smashing and crashing into things making a loud racket.The next time your put into a position like that ,try this mentally talk your self thur it.The pin is on the deer where I want,Am I anchored in the right place,double check the yardage,then slowly squeeze the trigger on the release.This will slow you down and make you focus more on the shot.this will help to so you aren't left second guessing yourself , you will be able to better hear the shot better.There isn't a hunter alive that has not been in your position and gotten carried away with getting the shot off.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »
Bearman, no offense, but you need to chill out a little.  Hoyt is no slouch when it comes to bowhunting, and his advice is just as good as yours. 

None of us were there with him when he shot.  From what I've been able to understand about it all, he wasn't paying attention when he shot the deer and doesn't know what kind of hit he got, and then the rain washed all of the blood away.  At this point, about all that can be done is to start as the last sign he had and start burning some shoe leather.

Everyone does things differently.  Hoyt may do something different than you, but both may work.  Everyone's opinions are valued on here.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
I replied to this stuff a while ago...wonder why it didn't post. I did see the shot, very clearly! I saw where the arrow was sticking. It was "brisket" low of the heart and right behind where the leg would come on the instep. The reason was not my aim but my jackets. I get cold easy and was wearing two jackets that day...the two I usualy wear. My lumbar back area had been getting cold, cause my long jacket had been creaping up to the height of the bomber I usualy wear underneath it. So that day(only time I've ever done this) I decided to put the longer tailed jacket on under the bomber-style and tuck it into my trousers to keep the draft off my back. the sleaves on the bomber are a little puffy and the long-tailed on are kinda tight, so I theorized that the puffy sleaves got in the way of my string(the bow has like 6'' brace height-so it's hard to shoot with no sleaves anyways) and casued the arrow to drop. So I put on the two jacket the way I did when I shot low and sure enough of 4 arrows I fire, they all land 5'' low. I switch the jacket layers and shoot 4 more arrows at 15 yards and they all land within an inch of the center.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
A "brisket" shot is front on and down in between the front legs.  Depending upon the angle that he was quartering away, you could have slipped right in behind that leg/shoulder and not hit anything but meat.  If the shot was really low, you just went through the very bottom of the rib cage, or on the very bottom of the rib cage and made a pretty deep cut.  Or, you could have gone through the bottom of the rib cage, hitting a lung.

Either way, you screwed up with shot placement (too far forward and too low) from the way it sounds, and you screwed up with not practicing with the two jackets on and knowing where your arrows would hit.  It's all been up to you man.  None of us were there with you, so all we can do is guess.  If it were me though, I wouldn't be on the computer.  I would be out doing whatever it takes trying to find the deer.  But none of us can make you go out and look, so it's all up to you.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments