November 23, 2017, 12:25:53 AM

Author Topic: 10 point stuck!  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
10 point stuck!
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »
10 mins ago...he gave me broadside and i wasn't ready...he was moving through, so when he presented a quartering away...i took it...a bit low. no blood within first 20 yards of trail...arrow not in deep. it def. hit a lung! Advice, please? is this a marginal shot...should I let him bed or what>?

Offline Tenderfoot

Re: 10 point stuck!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
been about half hour..by the clock. I'd say 2 mins. I found a big pool of bright red slightly frothy blood with a few bits of corn...hes spittin it. I was going to leave him all night and i headed back by a dif trail...which he was bedded next to and i heard /saw him jump up and then fall at least once. Its been raining so i dunno if he ran even further. we are getting cold weather tonight, so the meat will be fine. I'll leave him till morn. oh, i also found a spot of white hair...but the arrow is assuredly stuck in him, so maybe the white is becasue i snuck behind the shoulder and pooped through his chest(so much for that cape)...I'll leave him till the morn...hope he didn't run forever when I jumped him. I guesse I aint ducking in the morn.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:58:44 PM »
i don't want to jump him again...so i am stuck here in front of the computer all night long...i'll prolly head back out around 5 am. So untill then, let me tell everybody all about how it went down... I had just finished my to do list and decided to get into the woods a bit early since i only had so few hours left in the season. just to enjoy myslef i randomely decided to give it one more try since the rain let up. the shower was occupied, so i had to wait to de-scent.  then i lost my release...so that took more time...then i walked back to my stand and spooked 2 does. I figured they might stick around a bit, so i quietly as i could climbed up. as soon as i got standing and could see aboce the underbrush who do i spy, but 3 hot does and my guy. he chased them right into my plot and then came along. as soon as i saw him i tried to draw my bow with my trembling muscles. i did not expect him to come in after those does so fast...but he did and presented me perfect broadside for which i was not ready. about three steps later he was chowing on some corn and gave me quartering away, to which i somehow, without even thinking about it took. hit a bit low but perfectly left/right. then i ran back and called all my buddies and talked to all of their experienced folks as I could. and they told me wait 30...i probably got 1 lung. so i did. and then like i said iu was going through, found very few drops of blood followed by a random pool every now and then. then i decided to let him lay and spooked him coming up. now i'm trying not to gop crazy!

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
my legs hurt...the adrenaline got some acid build up in them. i feel like i just ran a marathon.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
dang it...i figured out what I shoulda done better. given him a bleat, he woulda turned broadside and looked up at me and he'd have had two flat lungs. The situation is all just so familiar...i just keep thinking I'm tracking that gut-shot doe again. I never did find her. I never even saw vultures. I hope he doesn't run into somebody elses yard and they keep him. How much does he need to bleed out to die? If i hit him in the muscle and bone, he'll keep going, right? That arrow is just plugging him up! I hope that i go out and where i saw him jump he just fell. I am realy worried that somebody else finds him first. bright red blood...a tad bit of bubbles.

travo

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
bubbles is lung shot, dude, he's dead. reread bearmans post, memorize it, and follow up. yup, me and the canuck have had our differences, but lookin at his pics, the man is used to recovering game. write down his post if you have to, and go out and follow it to a t. and have positive mental attitude, man. your buck is there, but you are wanting it too bad, looking too hard, and not seeing the obvious. take some deep breaths, calm down , and tell yourself that that buck is yours, he's dead, and ya just gotta find him. take er slow. not kiddin with ya man, a couple of "oooooooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm oooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm oooooooooohhhhmmmmmmmmm"s will do ya good right now. and take your camera with.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »
It aint the froth I'm used to seeing, though. Its just a few little little bubbles floating on the surface of the puddles. I hope ya'llr right.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
How could he live a half hour after a lung shot? I always figured hed die within 20 mins or go on for days hobbling around with an arrow shoved shallow in his leg.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
That guy had some polished antlers on him. Ya know how those chrome-tanned leathers look. They are real cream colored. This 10 point had leather-colored antlers...i hope I can send pics. I pray I can send pics...can I trade a kidney for a deer? any takers?

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »
There is always a deer for everyone. This late in the year, they have not all been shot. You always got a chance....its up to you to seal the deal. Did I fail? Stay tuned for more on this electrifying story! Be here as it unfolds. Only on Gut Pile Style...updates every 3 minutes.

Facebook Comments