November 22, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Author Topic: 10 point stuck!  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
Re: 10 point stuck!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »
It does look a bit like pit-hair. Not snow-white, but not back-brown.
I have not found him yet and I'm looking for buzzards. The stand was not high at all. I shot a doe right where he was standing earlier and the arrow entered just behind the fist leg joint in the chest and came through the other side about 4 inches lower. So the angle is not steep. Thanks for the help BC. Next year if the 6 point is worth shooting I'll only take a double-lunger.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
I found a big pool of bright red slightly frothy blood with a few bits of corn   is it possible you hit maybe alittle back clipping the edge of the stomach and low out one lung.Veins will put light colored blood with small bubbles.Was the blood a bright pink color or a bright reddish color 
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
Bright red..not pink froth like lung. That is very possible, Hoyt. And I've looked everywhere I can without trespassing majorly. I don't want to be wondering through somebody's woods and get myself shot. If it were all my land I'd still be out there from last night. And there is no blood. It rained last night. I want to keep looking, but I cannot without wandering through a highly-populated neighborhood. I am hunting like adjacent to a plantation and right in between that and this neighborhood. He could be anywhere in the plantation or neighborhood. Either way I can't realy wander through with out being busted by a dog barking or something.

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
Could you go ask for permission?
No kidding, as tore up as you have been about this deer, DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM NOW!!!!!!!! Suck It up and get back in the fight!!!!!! O0 We wanna see some picks, good luck Bro O0

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
In most states it is NOT trespass if you are lawfully persuing a wounded animal or attempting to recover downed game.  Check your regs or ask your local Conservation Officer.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »
I spent two more hours looking. I'll see what the law says and get permissions.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
In most states it is NOT trespass if you are lawfully persuing a wounded animal or attempting to recover downed game.  Check your regs or ask your local Conservation Officer.

That's only if the state has a wanton waste law.  If the state does not have one, he'll be trespassing if he enters another person's land without permission.  Even Conservation Officers have to have probable cause to believe that a crime is being committed before they can enter private property without permission (in most states).

I spent two more hours looking. I'll see what the law says and get permissions.

Yep, go knock on some doors and explain the situation to them.  Just tell them it's a deer, not a 10 pt buck, that you shot and apparently it ran off of the property you hunt on.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 07:00:35 PM »
I did end up covering another block and the main trails leading into the plantation...talked to another hunter I've met who lives near where I think he might be. He showed me a place they bed-up alot and we found nothing. I'm pretty sure it was a brisket shot, being so low, penetrating so little, leaving light hair, the arrow sticking in. But why then did I find a set pool of blood and a few pieces of whole corn? Don't they only hack blood when they got punctured lungs? I also searched the perimiter of a dry lake bottom he could pass through and get to anywhere, with the shotgun in hand-no sign, but I did nail a snipe. It's gunna freeze again tonight, so if he's down he still won't rot yet.

Offline hoskins

• When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »
That sucks dude, hopefully you can find the deer! If not, hopefully you only grazed him and he can live on until next year!

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »
at the point the arrow hit the deer did you hear a loud smack,dull thump or a whump.The loud smack is usually a bone hit(shoulder or spine or leg) a dull thump  is generally a rib cage hit.The hollow whump kinda noise and the deer hunches is usually a gut hit.Deer can hunch when shot in the liver but liver is usually a higher hit and dark blood.If you can find the arrow it will give you clues.If it has green or brown slime on it and smells it was gut shot but with quartering shots this can not always be a bad thing depending on how sever the quartering angle was.A fatty kinda smear on the arrow is usually a brisket hit or very high hit near the spine.The color of hair on the arrow could give a general idea of the exit.Not always but most often a very well hit deer will tear out of there (we call it the death run) smashing and crashing into things making a loud racket.The next time your put into a position like that ,try this mentally talk your self thur it.The pin is on the deer where I want,Am I anchored in the right place,double check the yardage,then slowly squeeze the trigger on the release.This will slow you down and make you focus more on the shot.this will help to so you aren't left second guessing yourself , you will be able to better hear the shot better.There isn't a hunter alive that has not been in your position and gotten carried away with getting the shot off.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Facebook Comments