October 18, 2017, 12:50:17 PM

Author Topic: Best shot??  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Best shot??
« on: September 30, 2003, 12:42:33 PM »
I was watching a Nugent bow hunt awhile back and he pulled off a wicked shot on a pheasant.   I know there are alot of trick shots out there, but the fact that this was actual hunting impressed me.  (Probably because I do good to hit a big fat doe standing in front of me - forget about hitting a small flying target. hehe)  

Has anyone ever used their bow on anything besides deer?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Best shot??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 08:12:54 PM »
I've gotten 4 squirrels with my bow while deer hunting over the years.  I keep a dull broadhead in my quiver just for squirrels.  A 125 gr. Thunderhead does a NASTY job on a squirrel!!!!!!

I've also got a kids bow that I lengthened the draw on and shoot instinctive.  I've taken it squirrel hunting with flu-flu's a few times.  Didn't get any, but had a blast doing it!

Just about got a turkey this past weekend.  They wouldn't cooperate and come close enough though.  I wanted them at about 25 yds or under.  They stayed at 30 yds and over.  Oh well!!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Best shot??
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »
Yep! We used to bow shoot a lot of fish, rabbits, and tame turkeys that had gotten loose, and turned rather wild. They escaped, usually just a couple or so per day, from a turkey processing house here in town, just a few blocks from home. We did pretty good on them, and found out quickly that turkeys don't die as easily as most folks would beleive. NOTHING is more determined than a couple of hungry Indian kids with bows! Right by the plant was a big wooded hollow the turkeys would always run to. One day I had arrowed a big tom in the hollow, and he ran back to the plant. He got up under the semi trailer, onto the undercarriage. The only shot I had was in the butt, and that's just where the arrow went. THAT did the trick! We were really proud to take home those big birds to our folks.  I have also groundhog hunted and black bear hunted with bow. I have had dang groundhogs break off as many as 3 arrows before dying (wood shafts).
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Best shot??
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 07:15:47 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about the fish!  It's been a while since I've gone though.  Don't really care to do it now, since I won't eat a carp!  Where's an old Indian when you them???
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Best shot??
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 12:19:33 AM »
Bigcal58, we hide in the brush and watch you shoot fish! Seriously, the bowfishing is good sport. Heck, you might even develop a taste for carp! Maybe that is stretching it a bit? I grew up eating about everything we could kill  or gather, and only got sick once, on some bulbs that grew out of the bank of a farm field drainage ditch. Dad told us the bulbs were supposed to taste like potatoes. Well, they didn't, and we all got sick! Indians eat ALMOST anything! I would have settled for frybread that day!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

Best shot??
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 04:50:22 PM »
you notice ted doesn't use a site on his bow? instinctive shooting allows you to shoot moving and flying targets much like a quarterback hits a reciever,let your eye take the arrow to its target.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Best shot??
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 11:14:33 PM »
That's a really good point, John. The few really great bow hunters I have been fortunate to meet all instinct shot, no sights. I met and visited with Fred Bear in Chigago, at a NSGA show and convention, back in '64. We were there for almost a week, and Fred shared his stories and warmth with us. We were really blessed that week, getting to know such a fellow. He told me of hunting polar bear and deer, and never once was he above the regular guy in his camo and in the woods.  There were bow shoot exibitions going on there, but Fred did not even pick up a bow that week and impress anyone with his shooting. We knew he didn't have to. Fred Bear was a great fella and did a lot for the rest of the bow hunters he left behind.

Offline john

Best shot??
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 08:34:25 AM »
i was out shooting squirrel with my longbow this weekend.got two out of five,i wasvery happy.you right about wing shooting with a bow.best to use a longbow or recurve.no sights. many shots you don't even get to full draw. i used to hunt ruffed grouse that way. but i don't have the legs for it anymore.and fred was a wonderful man, when i was thirteen i got to spend some time with him.he treated me just like any of the other guys.  just another bowhunter enjoying each others company and the wonders of nature.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
Best shot??
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 02:39:38 AM »
One of Fred's trophies there was a huge polar bear. He told me that was the first and only, up until then, polar bear he had killed that didn't have to be stopped by a bullet after being stuck. He used, It seems, about a 80 or 90 pound or so, draw on the polar bear bow.  That mounted bear was the tallest bear :shock:  I had ever seen, and its paws looked as big as dinner plates.  8-[

Facebook Comments