November 21, 2017, 10:53:10 PM

Author Topic: Spill proof water bowl.  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Spill proof water bowl.
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »

Your going to need:

-- 80 lb Bag Ready Mix Quikrete (bought at Lowes Hardware)
    -- 1 Plastic Bowl as shown in picture ($1.50 each)
    -- 1 Blue Mold (it and bowl can be bought at Dollar General for under $8)

Take white plastic bowl and turn upside down inside blue mold.  Then take separate bucket and mix up Quikrete ľ bag at a time and dump inside mold on top of bowl until entire 80 lb bag of Quikrete is used.  Allow 24 hours to set up.  Turn mold upside down and take your foot and lightly stomp around the outside edge until you feel bowl turn loose and fall to the ground.  Do not move bowl and allow bowl one extra day to set in the sun and set up before putting on chain spot.

Use the whole 80 lb bag on each bowl for two reasons: 1. harder for the dog to move if the chain gets around it 2. Just more durable.  Doing them this way allows you to make a bowl a day and before you know it your whole yard will be furnished with concrete bowls.  Can be used for food bowls or water bowls (holds 2 gallons of water).  Done the way I have explained they are virtually leak proof and easy to clean.  Donít try to cut corners and use less concrete per bowl because they will not turn out right and will crack and sometimes fall apart.  I have never had this happen but other tight asses that tried to save part of the $3 bag of concrete have had bad luck.  I do it this way and have never had one bust.  Leave plastic bowl in concrete bowl, do not remove, it will set up in it and that is what makes cleaning so easy.

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Spill proof water bowl.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
good thinking

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »
thats one of those little hints that makes this place so great!   O0 O0
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
Yep, they won't upset that water bowl, Tech!   O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »
For less than $20 (about what it will cost you to make the above) you can buy a big heavy dog bowl, with the base larger than the top.  It's won't spill easily either. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Morax

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »
For less than $20 (about what it will cost you to make the above) you can buy a big heavy dog bowl, with the base larger than the top.  It's won't spill easily either. O0

i got a couple of those for mine here, filled them up and promptly watched the big male flip it right over like he was playing tiddy-winks!!

but then again he cant read too well so he didnt know it was a spill proof

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
i got a couple of those for mine here, filled them up and promptly watched the big male flip it right over like he was playing tiddy-winks!!

but then again he cant read too well so he didnt know it was a spill proof

Thats like the Kong being called "indestrctable".

Here is another cool idea for a spill proof water bowl.

BC the instructions for the concrete bowls will make 4,that acutally work right, VS. the other bowl where you only get 1 and like Morax said...they don`t always work.

When it`s 95 degrees and my dogs are out side.I want a 100% guarantee they will have water!

As with the heavy duty hardware I want to know my dogs are safe!

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:43:44 PM »
something like that though i would be conserned or however ya spell worried, they would wrap themselves around it and get hung up..  growing up we had a collie and a german shepard police dog reject (you point a finger at him and say the word bang he would run!)

and for them we used a old wash basin, something like the blue plastic kegger bins of today..  every 3=4 days i would refill

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
Morax I know what you mean about getting the chain wrapped around it.If someone was to use that type of tool,I would suggest making sure the dog can just get to the bowl.Thus having the bowl at the edge of the chain space  O0

Offline Morax

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
Morax I know what you mean about getting the chain wrapped around it.If someone was to use that type of tool,I would suggest making sure the dog can just get to the bowl.Thus having the bowl at the edge of the chain space  O0

yeah and even then i would be a little bugged, you know how mans best friend also can be mans dumbest friend sometimes too!!

Facebook Comments