November 18, 2017, 08:23:44 PM

Author Topic: Stillwater Kennels $37 doghouse.  (Read 7077 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Stillwater Kennels $37 doghouse.
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
My buddy Shane built some really nice doghouses from a 1 piece plywood design.

Thats right the whole doghouse came from 1 sheet of plywood.

Here is one of the house I built from the 1 piece plywood plan with a few small modifications. I reinforced corner joints with ripped 2x4s and put metal flashing on corners and around door, and used roll roofing to cover the top.
I purchased plywood, 2x4's, flashing, and 1 roll of roofing for $220. I will be able to make 6 Houses for that amount of material.
So thats about $37 a house not counting my time or exterior paint.

-------------------------------------------------

Its actually a shingle type roll roofing, not a rubber membrane roof, but I also ran metal flashing all the way around the perimeter of roof line to discourage chewing. I also plan to coat surface with thin pine-tar film when put in use. I have NEVER seen a dog that would chew pine-tar.

I did screw up on the door on this one. I plan to move entire opening up 4" on the rest of them.

-------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have a platform built, that will keep it off the ground, but won't let air under. I will take a picture when I put it in use.

Yes angle iron is an idea, and to be honest, thats why I have only finished this one, because if flashing don't work, I plan to use some 1" x 1" x 3/16" angle iron. I found a place to get a 20' stick for $8.
10' will do one house.

I also like the round door. Instead of cutting a door and then putting angle iron around it. I am going to roll the angle and trace around it for the hole, so it will match perfectly

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Stillwater Kennels $37 doghouse.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:43:09 PM »
I hate to say it but that thing is a dog killer, if you use it in hard winter conditions. The design you presented in the other post is far better. it offers a wind break to keep the warmth stealing wind off the dog.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:29:03 AM »
What is the need of such a warm doghouse for say...south Texas?

Ask the guys in Florida why they need a warm doghouse.

Provided you have a healthy dog,dry bedding and you feed it.That dog could survive most southern climate winters in that doghouse.

Do you think sled dogs even have doghouses on the sled trail? Does a guy with a husly or malamute need such a crazy warm doghouse?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »
Easy Tech.  I don't see anywhere in the original post about using it only in warm climates.  Also, sled dogs are bred to withstand the cold, and have the fur for it.  Other dogs are not.  I think Mosparky was just pointing out that without a barrier to block the cold, that house is going to be colder than the other.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
Sorry,I didn`t mean to sound like such a jerk..no really I didn`t  ;D ;D

BC sled dogs are not bred to withstand cold.They have what a lab even has, a double coat of hair.

Techno and 2 Bits are examples of short haired dogs.They would freeze to death in cold conditins without a dress you guys like to make fun of.

Labs and sled dogs have the short coat of hair just like Techno and 2 Bits as well as a longer coat of hair over that.

I was just making a point that not all climates and not all dog types need a super warm doghouse.

I guess I assumed anyone wanting a doghouse would first asess what type of house will suit their needs.I posted both houses for different ideas of houses for different applications.

Also one would need to change their dogs diet for a change in climate.I keep the dogs about 5-9lbs heavier in the winter for a reason.I keep the dogs thin in the warm months for a reason.

I would also like to note that once the warm months roll in I don`t just cut the feed to get the extra weight off.That is not healthy for a dog...even a human really.I work the weight off the dogs by exercise.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »
I keep all my beagles in a real similar house. In the winter, I nail a rubber flap over the door to keep the wind down. Then in the summer, I pick the bottom of the flap up and nail it open. One thing I've found, that does even better than feed or bedding to keep your dogs toasty, is to let them all share one house ;D. Nothing like a pile of dogs to keep the heat in. Even on the coldest day, when i go to feed, The dogs come to meet me, and they are actually "warm" to the touch.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
I didn't mean to put down the design quite the way I did. The fact is it is well thought out, what with all the flashing to deter chewing and such. I lost a great German Shepard as a kid, due to some swallowed splinters while at the vet office for an extended stay.

John Andrews is my hero !

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
and for only 5 dollars ya can get a plastic barrel cut a hole in one end and ya got a dog house  O0 O0
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »
and for only 5 dollars ya can get a plastic barrel cut a hole in one end and ya got a dog house  O0 O0

Yepp those work the best...untill Animal Control tells you they are not approved in the county in which you live in  ;D

travo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
duke is friggin lucky. his doghouse is in the garage, built into the wall. i then added a sunroom for him made out of patio door panels scavenged from where i work. he can go in the door, turn the corner in the back of the doghouse, and walk into his "sunroom" which is totally devoid of wind because of the 2 turns he has to make to get into it. in the winter, that sucker soaks up the sun, and you can see the little sucker layin in it, all sprawled out, relaxed, even in really cold weather, not curled into a ball to save heat. two stationary patio panels, some treated lumber, and a couple of double pane argon filled take out sashes later, duke has er made in the unshade.

Facebook Comments