November 19, 2017, 08:48:06 AM

Author Topic: Spring Season Scouting  (Read 2088 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Spring Season Scouting
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
When do you folks begin to actively scout Turkey for the spring season?

turkeynutz

Re: Spring Season Scouting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:54 AM »
All year long! I try to pattern em all through the year. I have several properties that I have patterned for years and dont have to worry bout them places much! I consentrate on new places mainly! And I have 4 more here in okla. and two in missouri now!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
All year long! I try to pattern em all through the year. I have several properties that I have patterned for years and dont have to worry bout them places much! I consentrate on new places mainly! And I have 4 more here in okla. and two in missouri now!
How do you pattern turkey? I got to admit that this is my weakest point as a turkey hunter. If you don't feel like typing out a bunch of stuff, do you at least know some where that has allot of info that I could go to and studie up on turkey patterns?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:26:59 PM »
How do you pattern turkey? I got to admit that this is my weakest point as a turkey hunter. If you don't feel like typing out a bunch of stuff, do you at least know some where that has allot of info that I could go to and studie up on turkey patterns?

It's pretty easy Hoskins.  How do you pattern deer?  You watch them.  Same thing with turkey.  If you can watch them from a distance, it's best.  If not, just get in the woods and watch them.  Don't move or call, just watch.

Turkeys will use strutt zones year after year if nothing happens in the area to screw it up.  If you find these areas, sit up on them and find out where the turkeys usually come from.  Head them off before they get there. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »
Our winter ranges differ alot from the spring ranges here. So honestly I cram most of mine into the last 2-3 weeks before the season opens. Where you find them the first of march won't be where they are come April.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline hoskins

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »
Well, what is the best habitat to begin your scouting efforts? This will be the first year that I've turkey hunted here in TN! I'm trying very hard to find a place to hunt that has a good population! Any suggestions?

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:44:19 PM »
I will start with a food source and locate most of the roost trees in my area! And then I fine tune it to the main dusting areas and their routine travil routes they are simiular to deer if they have not been bumped! Like my main hunting spot, they come by my ceder blind 3-4 times a week and 10:30am or 1:30pm! Another place they come by once every three days at 8-9 am! And our lease is every day, all day long! So its just a matter of studying em!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
Yep, turkey said it. Find what they are feeding on now, and keep track of them until the season. With no acorns this year here, they are in pastures eating left over silage, and even the corn out of cow piles!!!!

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline hoskins

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
 O0 outstanding info gents, thank you and if you got any more advice on anything concerning turkey hunting---I'm all ears!!!! O0

Offline squirrellchef

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 06:25:14 AM »
up around here i got out late winter or around late jan erly feb to do some scoting a good place i found was in hay feilds and small pine tree goves were thes a little bit of protection as well as a far amount of food
RED-NECKS KEEPIN' THE WOODS CRITTER FREE SINCE 1885

Facebook Comments