November 23, 2017, 05:22:20 PM

Author Topic: Henned Up Toms  (Read 1828 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Henned Up Toms
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:04:02 AM »
What's, in yalls opinion, the best way to work a henned up TOM? This has been my biggest obstacle! I can get the Tom, that has sveral hens with him, in to about 50 yds but then the hens just lead him off in the other direction. I've tried to call to the hens and piss them off, but my attempts have failed! >:(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:10:53 AM by hoskins »

turkeynutz

Re: Henned Up Toms
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:21 AM »
Get him at mid day when the weiry hens are gone to the nest!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »
Get him at mid day when the weiry hens are gone to the nest!
That's where I've been making rookie mistakes. I had a guy tell me that you may as well pack it up and go home around 1:00 pm!!!!! I have watched a video from Knight and Hale that said the same thing you did, hunt mid day when the hens have gone to the nest. Unfortunatley, I didn't get that video until after the season was over and I haven't been turkey hunting since  >:( I'm going this year no matter what O0 Are the Toms silent during mid day, or do they aggressively gobble during mid day once they have lost their hens?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
Yep, do as turkeynutz said, hunt mid day.  The old devils tend to get a little "lonely" during the middle of the day when the majority of the hens are on their nests.  The only bad thing I've found about mid day hunting is that the birds usually come in silent.

If the toms are hened up and won't come to you, I've hunted them like deer in the past.  Watch their travel routes and sit up ahead of time along their travel route.  I've actually sat and not had to call a lick before. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »
The bird in my avatar pic was still henned up at mid day. But he was all alone at 6pm!!!  I just went back to where he was roosted that morning, set out my dekes, and called softly ever 15-20 minutes or so. He came in gobbling his head off like it was morning.

Just rememberone thing about midday or evening toms. More than likely they come in fast,  so if you get one to gobble after lunch get ready!!

My last tip is if you can get him to 50 yards, get a gun that kills at 50 yards!! ;D
Seriously though, I have misjudged before and killed one atnear 60. See what your guns pattern is at 50,60 just in case. You never know when you might misjudge, or just have to take the shot.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline hoskins

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
See I've been told not to take a shot over 30 yards so I've never patterned my gun past that range! I'm self taught and didn't know enough about it to quetion the guy who told me that! Plus watching the hunting shows kinda re-enforced the whole 30 yd rule. Now looking back on it, I guess the only reason that the shows let the toms get in so close is for the whole entertainment purpose of the show! I'll pattern my Mossberg 835 w/ 3 1/2" #4 shot Winchester Supremes firing out of a .670 at 40, 50, and 60 yds and see how it does. That will let me know if I need to change my rounds! Thanks gents! O0

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:53:40 PM »
I have watched all kinds of vids and sometimes they say 30 when it was 50! Like when they say they made a great shot on a deer when you see their arrow go through the gut area! It is better if you can get em in close but not too close! And the bird in my avatar was shot at 1:30pm in Kansas, I waited on his hens to leave him! And called him across a large corn feild! I have noticed that the better birds may only answer you once or not at all just slip in on youinthe mid day hunting around here!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »
I have watched all kinds of vids and sometimes they say 30 when it was 50! Like when they say they made a great shot on a deer when you see their arrow go through the gut area! It is better if you can get em in close but not too close! And the bird in my avatar was shot at 1:30pm in Kansas, I waited on his hens to leave him! And called him across a large corn feild! I have noticed that the better birds may only answer you once or not at all just slip in on youinthe mid day hunting around here!
Cool, thanks man--all this info you all are giving me is clearing up allot of questions that I've had! Stand by though, I'm sure, with out a doubt, that there will be plenty more to follow! ;D

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
Glad to help!!

Facebook Comments