November 18, 2017, 05:23:31 AM

Author Topic: Turkey Gun and Shells  (Read 2881 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Turkey Gun and Shells
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »
Just trying to get an idea of what you folks are using for turkey. I've got a Mossberg 835 and use Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" #4 shot and use a .670 choke.

turkeynutz

Re: Turkey Gun and Shells
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:38:18 AM »
That will work as long as you are compfortable with it!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
That will work as long as you are compfortable with it!
So what are you using? ??? I kinda want to see what everybody has got and are using! O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
I've got a Remington 870 Express and shoot 3" Federals with #4 shot.  I recently aquired a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum and got some 3 1/2" turkey loads in #4, 5, & 6 shot.  I haven't patterned the thing yet, so I don't know what it will do.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Remington 870 SuperMag 3 1/2 inch
Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" #4
Remchoke super extra full,  this was the last choice of chokes, nothing else patterned well enough. If this one would not have worked, the gun was going bye bye.

Franchi 12 ga semi auto
Stock Franchi turkey choke
Loves Federal Premium Turkey in #6
But I won't shoo tit past 40 yards.  Kille dmy first bird ever with it, bit now I just got more confidence in my Remington

Kayla shoots a Charles Daly 20 ga youth model
H.S. Strut Undertaker choke tube
Winchester Sumpreme 3" #5  It shreds the paper out to 40 yards, not been turkey proven yet though. Hope to change that this season.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

turkeynutz

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »
So what are you using? ??? I kinda want to see what everybody has got and are using! O0
I use a f.i.e. singleshot 20g. with full choke thats as old as I am with 3" fiocchi pheasant loads #6's!  And my p.s.e. custom compound bow with 2117 eastons!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »
I use a f.i.e. singleshot 20g. with full choke thats as old as I am with 3" fiocchi pheasant loads #6's!  And my p.s.e. custom compound bow with 2117 eastons!
Pardon my ignorance, but what is f.i.e?

Offline squirrellchef

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 06:54:46 AM »
im goin with a mossberg 500a with 2/3 #4 shot  :roll:
whats the choke for do you need it to turk hunt? :-\
RED-NECKS KEEPIN' THE WOODS CRITTER FREE SINCE 1885

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
im goin with a mossberg 500a with 2/3 #4 shot  :roll:
whats the choke for do you need it to turk hunt? :-\

It's best to have what's called a "turkey choke" in your gun.  With choke patterns, an improved cylinder choke throws the widest pattern.  A modified choke will throw a tighter pattern than the improved cylinder, but still give a good spread.  A full choke throws a relatively tight pattern (all of the shot condensed into a small area).  Those are the 3 main types of chokes that you can get in shotguns.  There's others mixed in there also by different manufacturers though, but those are the main 3.

That being said, a "turkey choke" throws a very tight pattern.  The vast majority of the pellets are condensed down into a very small area.  There's varying degrees of turkey chokes available, with some being tighter than others.

The deal with a shotgun is that it's designed to cover a large area with shot because generally the game that it's being shot at is moving.  With turkeys though, if you've done things like they're supposed to be done, there should be a bird standing in front of you begging to be shot. :twisted:  So with this, there's no need for a tight pattern.  Turkeys are tough birds.  You want to put as many pellets as possible inside the kill area of a turkey.  The kill zone is the head and neck areas.  To bust these bones you need a larger shot size and a bunch of powder (more "whack" when it hits).  With the super tight patterns that turkey chokes throw, it concentrates the pellets in a small area.

You also need to take your gun out and pattern your loads.  Get some silouhette targets of turkey heads and shoot at that to see where your shot is hitting and how wide of a spread you have to your choke.

Doe all of that makes sense?  Also, if you've never shot a turkey load, be prepared to get THUMPED right good. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

travo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
alpine avalanche, beman venture 400"s, and muzzy 125's

Facebook Comments