November 19, 2017, 12:08:13 AM

Author Topic: How Many Pellets  (Read 4063 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
How Many Pellets
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:07:59 AM »
How many pellets of shot is a good number to be in the vital area of a turkey target when you are patterning your turkey gun? Also, what do yall consider to be the approx max range in which you should take a shot on a turkey using a 3" and 3 1/2" shotshell? Also, the same question concerning range when using a 20 ga using a     2 3/4" and 3" shotshell?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:10:35 AM by hoskins »

turkeynutz

Re: How Many Pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:50 AM »
All it takes is one! I shoot up to 55 yards with 31/2" 12g. And 45 yards with 3" 20g. Of course my best long shot was 74 paces with 12g. 31/2"

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
All it takes is one! I shoot up to 55 yards with 31/2" 12g. And 45 yards with 3" 20g. Of course my best long shot was 74 paces with 12g. 31/2"
Dang It!!! :tickedoff I knew I should've taken a couple of those 50 yd shots!!!! I understand that it only takes (1) pellet/birdshot, however, what I'm asking is when you are pattering your gun, looking for the right shotshell to use, how many shots is a good number to be inside of the vitals of the turkeys head? Thanks O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
I usually go for at least about 5, but watch the spread of your pattern.  If you've got holes in your pattern then you may be pushing it quite a bit.

As far as the distance, I don't like to take a shot over 45 - 50 yds, but that's using #4 shot, which will carry farther than #5 or 6 shot.  Less pellets, but more energy and distance.  The max distance you shoot will depend upon what size shot you're shooting, your choke, and the pattern you get. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »
Experts say once you get below 30% that is your max range.  I shoot 3 1/2 Winchester Supreme #4 and at 40 yards the turkey head on a shoot-n-c target is still mostly green.  I have killed at 60 yards before, but not purposly. It is hard to tell you a number of pellets. Just go to the range, shoot different brands and shot size. Choose the best, and let your gut decide at what distance you are satisfied with your pattern enough to take a shot.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
I'm with BC on this one. To be honest, I've never had the chance to get out there for turkey, but I know that it's recommended to have at least 3 pellets in the boiler room area for squirrel and 5 for rabbits (don't ask where those numbers came from, but I remember reading that someplace and have always gone by that when using my shotguns for rabbits). Still, it would stand to reason that you'd want 5 - 7 pellets in that area for a turkey.

Strutter has a good point too. It's gonna boil down to knowing your shotgun and making the call as to how far is too far. Something to think about is that if you have to really ask yourself that question, maybe you shouldn't take the shot.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline hoskins

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »
I'm with BC on this one. To be honest, I've never had the chance to get out there for turkey, but I know that it's recommended to have at least 3 pellets in the boiler room area for squirrel and 5 for rabbits (don't ask where those numbers came from, but I remember reading that someplace and have always gone by that when using my shotguns for rabbits). Still, it would stand to reason that you'd want 5 - 7 pellets in that area for a turkey.

Strutter has a good point too. It's gonna boil down to knowing your shotgun and making the call as to how far is too far. Something to think about is that if you have to really ask yourself that question, maybe you shouldn't take the shot.
I hear ya, If it feels wrong than it probably is wrong! Thanks for all the info gents! I'm hitting about 15-17 pellets in the vitals at 30 yds. Now when I say vitals I'm not meaning total shots in the head, just the vital area in the head! I think that I'll be sticking with my 3 1/2" #4 shot Winchester Supremes!

turkeynutz

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
Some places we hunt in Kansas you are lucky to get under a 40 yard shot! So I thats why I pattern out to 55 yards! But what your asking is number of pellets in the vitals, I want a shot that gets me at least 10 in that area! Thats why I use the fiocchi shells in my 20g. I get 15-20 in at 40 yards, and all pellets on the 3'x3' plywood board!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:15 AM »
Some places we hunt in Kansas you are lucky to get under a 40 yard shot! So I thats why I pattern out to 55 yards! But what your asking is number of pellets in the vitals, I want a shot that gets me at least 10 in that area! Thats why I use the fiocchi shells in my 20g. I get 15-20 in at 40 yards, and all pellets on the 3'x3' plywood board!
What size shot and what inch shell do you use in the fiocchi shells? Also, what size choke are you using? My boy is going to be using a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 with a fixed full choke.

turkeynutz

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:29:06 PM »
What size shot and what inch shell do you use in the fiocchi shells? Also, what size choke are you using? My boy is going to be using a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 with a fixed full choke.
I use #6s in a 3" 20g. 1250fps but I have found some winchesters in the same set up that shoot as good!

Facebook Comments