November 21, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

Author Topic: Favorite Locator  (Read 2907 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Favorite Locator
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:16 AM »
I know I'm posting allot of topics in the Turkey Hunt section, I just want to get allot of discussion in this new forum! Turkey Hunting is my favorite type of hunting, even though the closest I've came to taking a Tom has been calling a bunch in to no closer than 50 yds---STUPID HENS :tickedoff  ;D I've got patience and I know I'll get one. I'm self taught and haven't had the opportunity to hunt but 2 seasons! I've studied about Turkey hunting for years though! The Marine Corps has unfortunatley kept me deployed thru allot of the Spring Turkey seasons :-\ Anyways, back to the topic---What is yalls favorite Locator Call. For me I got to go with a Owl Hooter, it seems to have worked better than any other locator!

turkeynutz

Re: Favorite Locator
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:23 AM »
I use the old crow the most! And when they get tight lipped I go to the yote howler!!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »
Owl in the am
Crow during the day
Owl or Yote to roost
Have been known to use a peacock or even a hawk on pressured birds.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline hoskins

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
Owl in the am
Crow during the day
Owl or Yote to roost
Have been known to use a peacock or even a hawk on pressured birds.

Ned
Sounds good, I've got an Owl, Crow, and Hawk locator but didn't really know when it was best to use each of them! Thanks O0

turkeynutz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:58 PM »
We use em all any time of the morning and evening! They sometimes wont reply to anything but the crow! I get one place I hunt, you cant use any call but the owl and another two places it takes the crow! We use the yote howler in Kansas most of the time!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
We use em all any time of the morning and evening! They sometimes wont reply to anything but the crow! I get one place I hunt, you cant use any call but the owl and another two places it takes the crow! We use the yote howler in Kansas most of the time!
Cool, so basically if you aint get no awnsers from one call then you need to transition to another to get them to sound off!

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
Thats what I do, most of the time they will reply to the crow anytime its light! And in Kansas they wont reply to nothing in the evening til after dark and its the yote howler! I only carry one locater call and its the primos old crow! You can howl with it (takes practice) or crow call! I hoot by mouth!

Offline hoskins

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »
Thats what I do, most of the time they will reply to the crow anytime its light! And in Kansas they wont reply to nothing in the evening til after dark and its the yote howler! I only carry one locater call and its the primos old crow! You can howl with it (takes practice) or crow call! I hoot by mouth!
I can't hoot by mouth, been trying, but I can yelp-cutt-purr-whine-and cluck by mouth.

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
Thats cool, it will come to you, just keep practicing!

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »
Even with our yote population here, I don't use it much.  I also hoot with my mouth. And I have also had to hoot during the day, seems to work somewhere that a crow call is very popular.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Facebook Comments