December 13, 2017, 03:49:09 PM

Author Topic: Carbon or Alum?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Carbon or Alum?
« on: October 04, 2003, 07:51:34 PM »
What do you guys think about carbon arrows?  I've always shot just regular ol' aluminum eastons.  I've heard good stuff about the carbon type but I have a hard time thinking about one taking off into the wild blue yonder after hitting a tree limb - with the big ol' price tag flappin'.    :roll:

Is the speed and accuracy worth the moola?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 10:06:26 PM »
Quite a few friends of mine shoot carbons.  The trick is to not miss! :P

FYI, a carbon arrow will explode when it hits a tree dead center, or so a buddy told me! :o

I stick with the aluminum.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline propredator

Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 09:57:23 PM »
I shot aluminium shafts for a number of years,last year i bought a faster one cam bow and decided to try the carbon.I like em and wont ever go back.
 They fly faster and have deeper penatration.Took 3 deer with em last year.None were damaged.The only arrow ever craked was when i shot 2 at the target that hit each other this year.
 Havent hit a deer in the shoulder bone yet,and try not to.The carbon may crack some times but the aluminum shafts bend and break also.Of what i can see the carbons are a much tougher arrow that shoot flater and faster and give better penatration.
 Just my 2 cents. :D

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 08:49:56 AM »
:twisted: Carbon`s are alway`s straight, very light and very tough.  I take one Arrow with a Target tip along with my Broadhead`s,when I get in my stand,I take a practice shot at a tree about 30yrds away,never had any problem`s with it explodeing........I`ll never go back to anything else!
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 01:27:33 AM »
i'm using carbon arrows with 125 grain muzzys. high country bow with 61 lb. draw. it shoots these carbons at 216.7 fps. and don't let there be any doubt, they go clean through a shoulder bone and out the other side. i can shoot groups at thiry yards at about 4-6 inches. i believe they shoot real well and are worth the money.
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 08:04:35 AM »
Worth the Money because there is no boubt if your arrow is good,Alluminum arrow`s can get bent,Wooden arrow`s can crack,both can be so slight,that you don`t know until you make the shot,then it`s too late,your arrow wonder`s off,and so does your Game!  With a Carbon,it`s either in piece`s or it`s good,there is NO DOUBT!!!

Peace of Mind..............Priceless!  :twisted:
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 11:56:07 PM »
I agree about the carbon. I watch some really good demo ads during TV hunting shows, showing the flex and recovery during flight of different arrows. Pretty impressive,those ads! I worked at a sportings goods store to help out the two owners,also good friends of mine. we had a large indoor electronic range as well as a large archery range and instore shop and archery dept. Both owners were real bow hunters,too. We made up a lot of arrows and watched the different arrows being shot and how they actually performed. Most arrow bowing recovery during flight is really quick,but it HAS to affect the flight path, my 2 cents worth. Fred Bear told me while we were visiting the NSGA show in Chicago in 1964 that it boggeled his mind with what folks were coming out with then,as far as archery equipment. One of his large bear kills was right there next ut us. I asked him what was the best advice he could give me about bowhunting. He looked at the big bear mount, and said,"Think before you shoot."
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ARMallardSlayer

• Dirt Trackin in the ArkLaTex
Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 12:18:18 AM »
Been using carbons for years......never will use anything else.

I shot mine into a tree and no explosion happened.

They are tough and straight........
"Live Like You Were Dying"

Offline john

Carbon or Alum?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
i shoot port orford cedar myself, nothing in the world smells as good as a fresh port orford cedar shaft.

Facebook Comments