November 18, 2017, 04:29:37 PM

Author Topic: The culvert gator  (Read 3544 times)

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
  • Happiness is a large gutpile
The culvert gator
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
  I spent from 12 today till 6 crawling in 3 foot smaller cement culverts trying to push a 10 plus ft gator with PVC pipe . My cousin Frank was waiting at an open manhole lid. The gator wouldnt budge so I improvised. I taped a treble hook and 400 feet of rope to the end of the PVC and hooked the gator. It was near impossible to move him. It was too small of a culvert to use a bangstick . I was eye level with him all I had was a 22 magnum revolver . Man that gator was pissed he straightned out my hook and got off. It was getting late so I tried to prod him again. He still wouldnt budge so we were packing up to leave and took a break and were kinda broken hearted . I had crawld over 400 feet back in a pipe 3 times  today . All I had gotten out of it was a rush hearing him growl and snap and seeing those glowing eyes.

Well I said to Frank Im gonna pop that manhole lid one more time . I did and there he was hissing . I blasted him with a 44 mag and finished him.

Here is one pic my batteries died but my cousin Frank has a few more pics.

Look at the gators elbows from living in that culvert. My elbows and knees about match his after today  :shock:

Im gonna rest now see yall tomorrow :buck2

I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Re: The culvert gator
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:53:26 PM »
 :shock: Dude, one thing about it, you got BALLZ!!!!! You may be missing some limbs later on down the line---but you got BALLZ!!!! ;D ;D O0

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:15:15 PM »
That was my first trip deep into a culvert Hoskins. It was iffy at first because there was a fork in the culvert approaching that I didnt know if he was right around the corner or not. and its hard to tell which way your going underground.  It was spooky for a bit but I actually got comfortable after a few minutes. The strange part was It was hard to tell how far the gator actually was from me. That pipe distorted the distance and size of the gator. It looked like a 6 footers eyes but he was over 10. There is no escape he could switch ends in that small of a pipe. And they are streamlined for a pipe . I couldnt turn around

Bearman he was still twitching and we had to enlist some of the people in the neighborhood to get him out of there. We put a big rope on his beak to lift him and taped him they can bite for a while after they are dead.  I usually do tape them if they are sizeable , they can bite stuff in the bed of the truck too. I was too tired to take it off for good a picture.

That 44 going off in that culvert sounded awesome my cousin brought his 357 stick over and said pop him again si I did for him. Always wear safty glasses or eye protection. I had schrapnel hit me today . It can be peices of skull, the bullet or jacket , or in that case possibly the cement under his head. It was a crushing blow because his head was on the cement bottom. It was so small of a pipe I couldnt turn around in and had dirty water giant roaches and who knows what else.

The gators use those as highways and dens for winter. It was warmer down there than outside today.

Here is a closer pic of his elbows from living in there.  Oh yeah his mouth was green inside instead of white because of a type of dye they use to color the lake he was at. So we wont be processing his meat and the hide is rough. I guess Frank and I might have made 70 or 80 bucks each on him

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:31:10 PM by gatortrapper »
I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
That would be interesting trapping bear . They are destructive critters. The county next to me has been having bear problems lately.
I am a dinosaur hunter

BBF

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
You do THAT for a living?? :shock:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »

I know!  Lucky S.O.B. isn't he? O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »

Well I do it for side money it would be tough to make a living at it . The hide market varies and prices have dropped a lot in the last 10 years due to the abundance of farm gators .

I do construction and roofing to make money. The gator hunting I just break even or possibly make a few bucks . I do it because I like it . Its a lot of work and can be a dirty job like crawling in that culvert or setting baits. Nothing like the smell of week old chicken or beef when you open the bait bucket first thing in the morning. gator puke has a special aroma also :buck2

BBF here is a link that tells the basice of how the program works

http://myfwc.com/GATORS/nuisance.htm

http://myfwc.com/GATORS/research/Articles/nuisance-csg2000.pdf
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:14:38 PM by gatortrapper »
I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »
Here is a better picture of him after he had all the culvert slime washed off

I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »
That gator doesn`t look too bad all cleaned up and such.

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »
Yeah but dunno if you can see in this picture his mouth has the tidy bowl dye color they put in the lake. And we each got matching scuff marks from the pipe ;D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:23:48 PM by gatortrapper »
I am a dinosaur hunter

Facebook Comments