November 19, 2017, 03:18:25 AM

Author Topic: need help squirrell hunting  (Read 1166 times)

Offline squirrellchef

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
need help squirrell hunting
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
this is my first year to try squrrell huntin
whens the best time to go squirrell huntin?
whats the the best you one of you found to cook a squirrell?

RED-NECKS KEEPIN' THE WOODS CRITTER FREE SINCE 1885

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: need help squirrell hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:06 PM »
The best times are usually from daylight to around 9:00 - 10:00 AM and then from around 4:00 - 5:00 PM on to dark.  If it's colder, then the squirrels will usually wait a little after daylight to come out (to let it warm up).  Use the squirrels activity to dictate how long you hunt.  I've seen them active all day, so if that's the case, then stay out all day.  If it's windy, you might as well stay home.  Same thing for a rain, unless it's a light rain and it's warm.

As far as cooking, I think the best way is to just fry them.  Get some peanut oil and heat it to about 200 degrees and drop your squirrel in the oil.  Roll the pieces in some seasoned flour first though. O0  If you want a "crust" on the squirrel, take a couple of eggs and mix them up good in a bowl.  Roll the squirrel pieces in the egg first and then the flour, and then drop them in your oil.  Make sure the oil is up to at least 200 degrees before you put more squirrel in.

The recipe section here has some other ways to cook them.  Be sure and try the Squirrel & Noodles. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments