October 18, 2017, 09:48:09 PM

Author Topic: Recoil Charts for Popular Hunting Calibers  (Read 67604 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Recoil Charts for Popular Hunting Calibers
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
I lifted this off of another site, but it's some really good info.

Here is a new chart that shows the recoil ratings of various popular big game hunting rounds. I only put one .22 centerfire in there for comparison because I am not a big fan of them for hunting purposes - but that is another thread.

One thing to note. These are the approx FACTORY ballistics and the powder charge is approximate based off an average of the powder charges listed in the books for the approx velocity level. Some of you may say, "yeah well I get 3400 fps out of that load and you are showing 3200." That's fine but I have to have a standard to start with and I picked approx factory ballistics.

This is in no way a "loading guideline" for anyone. Unlike some charts (Chuck Hawks is a good example), I have assumed an 8# weight for each rifle. Some rifles may way more, some may weight less - but we are comparing apples and apples here instead of a lightweight carbine against a 12# dangerous game rifle. Some might notice a heavy bullet has MORE powder than a lighter one. This is because there has never been an effort to capture the gas constant of each powder and some bullets take a SLOWER powder with a heavier bullet, thus possibly taking more powder than the lighter bullet. The .44 Magnum rifle and the shotgun load use pistol powders which have a faster gas constant speed than the rifle powders. This will make them "kick" slighly more than the same quantity of rifle speed smokeless powder.

Here they are sorted by name:

Here they are sorted by recoil:

You'll notice there is a good reason the 12g 3.5" turkey loads feel brutal... They are...

Courtesy of 7x57
The images are pictures, so they aren't showing up that great.  They're also attached below so you can open them up by themselves.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:06:50 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Recoil Charts for Popular Hunting Calibers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »
Here's another site with some info.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Thanks BC. Great info there. It's a little easier to read if you hold down the Ctrl key and scroll the wheel on the mouse ( if you have that type mouse) a click or 2 smaller.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
Great chart, BC!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline rdsii64

• Rookie Club Member
    • shooter64
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
The problem with recoil charts is they don't take into account a proper fitting rifle stock and a good shooting position. Get them right and a .30-06 feels like a ^^^^cat. Get them wrong and a .243 can leave a bruise.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am a right wing, God Fearing, gun owning, Heterosexual male.
How else may I piss you off today
http://www.youtube.com/user/rdsii64

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
The problem with recoil charts is they don't take into account a proper fitting rifle stock and a good shooting position. Get them right and a .30-06 feels like a ^^^^cat. Get them wrong and a .243 can leave a bruise.

What a gun "feels" like and the amount of force in the recoil are 2 different things.  The charts are meant to be used as a general guideline and are assuming all things are equal in order to make the comparison.....

This is in no way a "loading guideline" for anyone. Unlike some charts (Chuck Hawks is a good example), I have assumed an 8# weight for each rifle. Some rifles may weigh more, some may weight less - but we are comparing apples and apples here instead of a lightweight carbine against a 12# dangerous game rifle.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
BC gets a bruise from his Daisy Red Ryder BB gun! :D :D ;D ;D :shock: :shock: :-P :-P :roll: :roll:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Not hardly.  ::)   It takes a pretty big gun to get through all of the fat on me to where it leaves a bruise.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
The weight and design of the gun for sure makes a big difference in felt recoil.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
Do they even make Daisy BB guns anymore? I can't recall the last time I even saw one. They were made in Rogers, Arkansas!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments