November 18, 2017, 05:19:33 AM

Author Topic: Got Me A Turkey Hunting Buddy  (Read 1956 times)

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Got Me A Turkey Hunting Buddy
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »
Well my kid has got the fever, the Turkey Hunting fever! I told him the other day that the youth Turkey season was in 41 days and he went ballistic!!!! We went on a binge of watching HS Strut and Knight and Hale Turkey Hunting videos. He was all about learning how to call! It's great to see just how excited he is about going turkey hunting. It's not just excitement about the hunting, but also the scouting and the practice it takes to learn to call and also in shooting! He hasn't shut up about turkey season since I told him about it this past Sunday. I bought him a Primos Mini diaphragm call last night and with in a few minutes he was already yelping with it. Now his yelps were not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he's getting really close. Heck, I know adults that it has taken a while for them to make a sound thru a diaphragm call that even closely resembles a yelp, cutt, cluck, ect..... He's not content with just learning how to use a mouth call, he's also wanting to learn how to use the slate! He's pretty good at yelping and cutting with the box call and he can obviously use a push button box. I've got a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that he'll be using. The only thing that sucks that it has a fixed Full choke. I'd like for it to have a screw in choke so I could put a Turkey choke in it, but oh well, just got to work with what we got. We'll be going to the range this weekend, along with doing some scouting. I'm going to be pattering my 12 gauge 835 and also the 20 gauge 500. I've got some 2 3/4 #9 shot target shells that I'm going to use to work on his shooting accuracy. So with all my rambling aside, I guess what I'm saying is that I've got me a Turkey Hunting buddy that is just as excited about the upcoming Turkey season as I am! O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: Got Me A Turkey Hunting Buddy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »
Good deal man! O0

If you haven't already, you may want to invest in a little pop-up blind of some sort. :wink:  It will help hold the heat in, conceal movement, and if he gets tired he can lay down and take a nap.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline hoskins

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
Good deal man! O0

If you haven't already, you may want to invest in a little pop-up blind of some sort. :wink:  It will help hold the heat in, conceal movement, and if he gets tired he can lay down and take a nap.
Great idea, to be honest, that thought hadn't crossed my mind! O0

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
I was gonna mention the blind also. Kayla can read, sleep, play her gameboy whatever, then get ready when needed while all the movement is hidden.  We did the sit in the lap thing a couple of time last season, when needed but it does make it tough unless the bird come sin quick.

Also with the fixed full choke, try and find the Federal turkey loads with the flight control wading.  Before I bought her the Charles Daly she also used a fixed full 20 ga. and those shells alone made it lethal out to 30 yards.

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Any reason to get the kids into more outdoors is positive upbringing. Even that dang turkey hunting. Dang turkeys. :knuppel2  :tickedoff  :buck2 If you haven't already noticed, I consider them speed bumps.  :roll:  ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline hoskins

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:49:28 AM »
Any reason to get the kids into more outdoors is positive upbringing. Even that dang turkey hunting. Dang turkeys. :knuppel2  :tickedoff  :buck2 If you haven't already noticed, I consider them speed bumps.  :roll:  ;D
Yeah, the boy has got it bad!!! O0 I thought I screwed up earlier this year by being too hard on him during squirrel season, but I lucked out and he's back on board  O0 He's ready to go, aggravating me to death about, asking me everyday about how many more days there is before turkey season. He's gnawing at the bit to go and pattern his 20 gauge and to do some scouting! O0 He's also dying to go bass fishing and was drooling over a top water bait that I got for him the other day. So needless to say, I won't be leaving the house w/o him if I'm heading to the Lake, Range, or Woods-----and I dang sure wouldn't want it any other way! O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
Yeah, the boy has got it bad!!! O0 I thought I screwed up earlier this year by being too hard on him during squirrel season, but I lucked out and he's back on board  O0 He's ready to go, aggravating me to death about, asking me everyday about how many more days there is before turkey season. He's gnawing at the bit to go and pattern his 20 gauge and to do some scouting! O0 He's also dying to go bass fishing and was drooling over a top water bait that I got for him the other day. So needless to say, I won't be leaving the house w/o him if I'm heading to the Lake, Range, or Woods-----and I dang sure wouldn't want it any other way! O0

That's good to hear man. O0  I was going to try to get Mason out this past weekend and shoot a little.  He's been shooting with the .22 enough.  I was going to graduate him up to the .22 Hornet and a .32-20.  I grabbed a big cast bullet loaded .45-70 cartridge and showed it to him, beside a .22 LR and asked him if he wanted to shoot the big one.  An evil grin came on his face and he said YEAH! ;D  I think it might be a year or two before he tackles the .45-70 though. :wink:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline hoskins

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
That's good to hear man. O0  I was going to try to get Mason out this past weekend and shoot a little.  He's been shooting with the .22 enough.  I was going to graduate him up to the .22 Hornet and a .32-20.  I grabbed a big cast bullet loaded .45-70 cartridge and showed it to him, beside a .22 LR and asked him if he wanted to shoot the big one.  An evil grin came on his face and he said YEAH! ;D  I think it might be a year or two before he tackles the .45-70 though. :wink:
My boy has been shooting my Tactical M4 (.223) and is shooting pretty darn good O0

Facebook Comments