November 19, 2017, 08:47:42 AM

Author Topic: Team Turkey Contest  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
Team Turkey Contest
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in something like this.  Not quite sure how we would do it but sure you all are smart enough to come up with some ideas.  This is what I have so far in my mind.

1.  3 person blind draw teams
2.  1 turkey score per person submitted for score.
3.  Score is combined measurement of beard and spurs together.  Then combine individual scores together for a team score.  Can only replace one team turkey score with a second bird.
4.  Bragging rights for the winning team and they can defend their title by staying together for the next year's contest.

What do you all think?  Oh, we would deadlines and confirmed measurements by having a pic of the bird ruler/tape next to the beard and spurs.

And lastly, I pity the team that ends up with me for this is my second year hunting turkeys and I have not taken one yet.

RIK
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Offline hoskins

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!
Re: Team Turkey Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
I'm all for it, I haven't taken a bird yet either, but whatever-----good idea Rookie!!!! O0

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Sounds good, but let's add a little "twist" to it. :wink:  For #3, don't let someone replace a previously scored one.  Example ---- If someone gets their first bird, but decides not to enter it, thinking that their second one will be bigger, all kinds of good stuff can happen. ;D  They can either get one smaller, the same size, larger, or not get one at all.  Put a deadline on entering a bird also, say the same day they get it. O0  This will see how "good" someone really thinks they are and can really screw up a contest! O0

If someone gets a bird, but gets cocky and thinks they're going to get a bigger one, but then blanks on the second one. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »
Oh come on keep it simple. Turn in all birds by an individual and the highest score of ONE bird at the end, wins it for that person. This might give an advantage to people who hunt in states with a 3 or 4 bird limit but who cares, if you are good enough to tag out then you deserve to win.  Plus with this you can just add up ALL scores within a team for the total.

I do agree with posting the score pic the day of the kill.

But don't limit us to one bird score I mean Hoskins can kill 4 in TN, so let him enter 4 scores for the team score and then select his biggest for the individual score.

Just my 2 cents, but count me and MissStrutter in either way!!!!!!!! O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline hoskins

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
Oh come on keep it simple. Turn in all birds by an individual and the highest score of ONE bird at the end, wins it for that person. This might give an advantage to people who hunt in states with a 3 or 4 bird limit but who cares, if you are good enough to tag out then you deserve to win.  Plus with this you can just add up ALL scores within a team for the total.

I do agree with posting the score pic the day of the kill.

But don't limit us to one bird score I mean Hoskins can kill 4 in TN, so let him enter 4 scores for the team score and then select his biggest for the individual score.

Just my 2 cents, but count me and MissStrutter in either way!!!!!!!! O0

Ned
Sounds good to me----I'll just be happy with one bird though ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:05:07 AM by hoskins »

Offline Meat Hunter #737

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »
I'll enter... but we have a 2 bird limit, and I go with scoring the biggest bird per person... O0
your mission if you choose to accept it, is to go through the boiler maker to get to the Gut Pile Style

Offline hoskins

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:12 AM »
I'll enter... but we have a 2 bird limit, and I go with scoring the biggest bird per person... O0
I'll personally only score no more than my first 2 birds (if I can kill 2), that's the fair way to go about it!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
Why not just score all of them for a Biggest Bird part of the contest and then if a person gets multiple birds, add all of them together and then average them.  Make that the score that gets entered for that person.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline BigStrutter

• Happiness is a 50 cal.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
WOW, BC got his brain going on that one!!! :shock:  :shock:

What would we do without him???????  :uglystupid2

Like I said before we are in either way, so just post up the final rules when the time nears!!  O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

Offline Rookie in Kansas

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
I will let Strutter and BC come up with the final list of rules and teams, just need to hurry before anyone's season begins.  My season begins 1 April.
Shoot straight and dropem where they stand!

Facebook Comments