November 24, 2017, 09:56:23 AM

Author Topic: doing my first hoghunt this year  (Read 4426 times)

Offline gatortrapper

• Gut Pile Guide
  • Happiness is a large gutpile
Re: doing my first hoghunt this year
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »
I would use the 06 myself . The 243 is great also but if you run into a 300 or 400 pounder you might have to track them a bit and a 243 doesnt leave a good exithole if it hits bone it may not leave an exit wound and no blood can make tracking difficult.

I use an 06 on lots of stuff even coyotes. It doesnt do as much hide damage as lighter rounds because the bullet passes through a yote size animal without expanding a lot. I use rem core lock ammo
I am a dinosaur hunter

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
If I still had an '06 I would be using it on hogs.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
roger that. Love the '06 for make big BOoM!  :D
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »
Even though the hogs have that armor shoulder plate, an '06 with a proper bullet should drill clean through it and out through the other one. The penetration of the '06 is awesome.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
What about 357 mag revolver 3 inch barrel ??? Picking one up this week =)

BBF

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
unless you worry about getting mugged during your hunt I would leave that shorty six gun at home.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
MMmm yes however this isn't for the hog hunt specifically. There's 2 ponds on my acreage down there that I fish in one is really large so there's snakes and now apparently pigs.  Yeah a pistol is not my first choice to hunt hawgs with imo 30cal+ rifles or 20ga+ shotguns w/ slugs would outdo any pistol on a hog.  If I'm fishing and see a snake I'll have the 357 loaded with 38 special snakeshot/birdshotload for the first 2 shots and the next shots would be 357 jhp (good grain to use? -blackbear/hogs-) in case a hog comes into sites,,,,,, this is while fishing not hoghunting. It's just too wierd for me to lug a rifle around while fishing just because there's pigs around plus the snake shot is probably going to come in handy.  I just want to know if 357 mag is capable of doing the necessary damage to a possible 250 lbs pig to down it with proper shot placement.  I do know where to aim. My uncle down there has killed some of the smaller ones with a .22 revolver but he won't use that on a big one because they are very tough nmls.

BBF

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Dude, you are trying to do too many things at once here imo. The snake shot stuff is ok for snakes, that is a good thing. I don't think a hog will attack you if you are fishing so forget the hogs. Black bears will run 9.9 times out of ten but the .1 may not.

My concern with the .357 isn't so much the cartridge but the pistol. With that short barrel you will have lost Velocity, a very short sigtht radius and the JHP's are probably to fragile for a bear.

Did you say you had a 40 cal.  better for bear, crap for snakes. What are you most likely to encounter, go with that.

This might help, being in Canada, packing a handgun is totally nixed.
In the woods if not carrying a rifle or shotgun I packed one of those highway flares with me. Bears and other critters do not like fire, smoke and the stink that those things put out, and then of course there is that bear spray stuff, dunno how good that works.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:07:48 AM by BBF »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 09:43:37 AM »
What about 357 mag revolver 3 inch barrel ??? Picking one up this week =)
I think that would be an excellent round for porkers.  O0

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
I need to not post stuff on those kind of days.  :-X      Man I do have a fear of pigs though it is a justified one.

Facebook Comments