November 19, 2017, 08:54:57 PM

Author Topic: 410 or what?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Big Papa

410 or what?
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »
Hey folks....I can only hunt conservation land which does not allow for rifles I wanna eat the meat so my ?? is a 410 the only way to go  are other shotguns to big? I am a rookie never been hunting period but I am burning to go.  :D
Big Papa is here!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
410 or what?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:48:09 PM »
Big Poppa, the .410 will work just fine. In fact, it should kill just as far as the larger bores. It's too bad they won't allow rifle hunting where you want to hunt.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
410 or what?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:17:04 PM »
Yep - 410 will fix ya up!  8)

Welcome aboard Big Papa - lots of good folks around here to help you out.  If you have any questions, just ask!  :D
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
410 or what?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 07:01:43 AM »
.410's have taken their fair share of game.  The good thing about them is that the recoil isn't that bad.  The other 2 most popular gauges are 20 and 12.  The 20 gauge is a good compromise in that it doesn't kick too bad, and still had quite a bit of "reach out and touch 'em" power.  A 12 gauge will thump you right good, but it'll take care of what ever your after.

My opinion, if you're looking to get a shotgun, I would go with at least a 20 gauge, but preferably a 12.  The reason for this is that for some animals, the lowest gauge that they'll allow for hunting is 20.  You can also get a rifled slug barrel for it and use it deer hunting.  I know in KY, the smallest gauge that is allowed for deer and turkey hunting is 20.  It may also be for waterfowl also, I'm not sure.

There's nothing wrong with the .410, but a 20 gauge would be more usefull in the number of critters that you can hunt.  With a shotgun sometimes, you have to pick your shots.  When I was younger and hunted squirrels with a shotgun, I sometimes had to wait for the squirrel to get a little further out before shooting it.  I knew that if I shot the critter as close as it was, there wouldn't be anything left.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline HeavyChevy

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
  • Aint nothing better in life then HUNTING,HAUNTING
    • http://www.hhh-usa.org
410 or what?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:43:14 PM »
410 is a good choice i have started all 3 of my children on then.
Rick Kube
LM NAHC
MB MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS
mb comerative bucks of michigan
LM MUDH
Founding member of HUNTERS HELPING HUNTERS.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
410 or what?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 09:54:12 AM »
BC has an excellent point for the 20 GA. I was visiting my inlaws one time and got invited to go squirrel hunting with them. My rifle was home, so he loaned his .410 pump to me. I was amazed at how far the gun killed the squirrels. It was normal range for 12 GA, and the little .410 killed them dead with one shot. I shot 6 times that day, and killed my limit of 6. Being used to using a rifle probably helped, too. The .410 had a full choke, by the way.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big Papa

410 or what?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »
You fellas are awesome!!! I live in M.O. and no rifles on conservation land.I like the idea of the 20 cuz of all the different animals I can get ....But..Since I have never shot a shotgun and never been hunting a 410 maybe the way to go,Dick sporting goods have a 22/410 all you do is switch barrels  it is also pretty cheap I have 4 boys ranging from 10-3 years old and need something little for them as well as me the ol' man Keep the info coming and Thanks
Big Papa is here!!

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
410 or what?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 09:54:30 PM »
where in MO do you live and what conservation land are you hunting?
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline Big Papa

410 or what?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 08:00:15 AM »
Sir I live in lees summit and I am hunting Lone Jack  and James A Reed.....due to some advice I think I am picking up a 20 g  for doves and rabbits as well
Big Papa is here!!

Offline john

guns for squirrel
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 09:09:04 AM »
i prefer my little .22singleshot remington 514.that being said the second gun any hunter needs is a good 12gauge pump.you can adjust load and shot for every game. get slug barrels. if your going to have one gun ,,,,this is it.

Facebook Comments