November 23, 2017, 12:15:40 AM

Author Topic: First scouting trip today  (Read 1606 times)

Offline BigStrutter

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Happiness is a 50 cal.
First scouting trip today
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »
Only heard one single gobble from the roost this morning. That was in one of my deep woods spots. Left there and went to the farm I primarily hunt and found big tom in full strut with 8 hens in the pasture. The farmer has been telling me that he is seeing 40+ just about every day. I expect that they are now starting to break up some, which is why I only saw 9. Things should be getting better here in the next couple of weeks. O0

Ned
Show a child the outdoors and you will show them the world.

FOREVER G540

turkeynutz

Re: First scouting trip today
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
Least you got to hear something! I got out this morning at my new place here in missouri and counted 7 old gobblers and some jakes! For the first time, I have been seeing em but they havent been saying nothing til this morn! If it werent for the highpo sirerns they probly would have been quiet this time too! They have been talking back in Okla. for almost three weeks now! We got about two weeks til season there and five weeks here! then I hit Kansas and Nebraska may first! Hopen for 9 long beards this year! O0

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
The only turkey sounds I've ever heard in the woods come from dumb hunters. I give a little yelp on my diagphram and they call back with a box and I continue messing with them but never go any closer ;D ;D. I must be getting ok at calling. I am begining to believe that turkey do not make noises.

Offline AB

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • My hunting budy.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »
Be careful calling back at other hunters... they can get a might bit excited and do stupid things. 
Up her in Indiana the birds are still quiet according to some of my friends in the northern half of the state... But the season here doesn't start till about the 20th. 
"Men don't change.  The only thing that surprises a man in his life, is the history he doesn't know."
                                                      Harry Truman

turkeynutz

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
Got to wait til 21st here too! Tryen to get my uncle to quit callen to em, he thinks he can get em to comen to his place by doing it! It aint worken like I told him but he's an old dog!!! >:(

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07:41 PM »
It kind of freaks me out when I hear the other callers in the woods. You realy just don't know they are there until they talk. I usualy stop dead in my tracks when I hear any turkey or other caller. Then give one more to make sure it was either a man or bird. If it's a man I walk the other way(silently). So far I haven't gotten closer than 150 yards from a hunter(and always in the open while walking a road). I would like to do anything I can more safetly, but I can't think how to handle these encounters any better.

turkeynutz

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
Its funny when the other hunter aint worth a crap calling! I seen several over the years that think they are pros! Only had one encounter with an other hunter hunting me! But it happens alot to alot of peps! You cant be too careful, thats for sure!!

Facebook Comments