October 20, 2017, 03:14:31 AM

Author Topic: full length or neck  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
full length or neck
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
ok fellers.. which do you do full length or neck resizeing when you reload? i got to thinking this after i got a case stuck I MEAN STUCK in my full length die the other day, it was in so bad a stuck case remover wouldnt even touch it! i ended up using a small screwdriver and light taping between the case and die and folding it onto itself to get it out, but it got me to thinking maybe going to neck only..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: full length or neck
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »
I don't reload yet, but my buddies who do usually only neck size the brass unless the brass might be used in more than one gun or it's new to them brass. They tend to have a semi-benchrest mentality, once the brass is fire-formed to that chamber, it only goes in that chamber.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

BBF

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
I've done both but tend to full lenght size now and trim them as well.  My 284 Win has such a tight chamber that even brand new factory ammo is a bit sticky going in. If I just resize the neck it will not chamber at all.

Two of the 30-06's are in  pump or auto banger and I use a small base die for all 30-06  loads to make sure they go in easy and come out nicely
I don't think it makes a difference for straight cases so I seize them full lenght as well.

Next time you get a stuck case try putting the die into a freezer for several hours and then run hot water over the die or use a propane torch gently  being careful not to heat up the case. I am presuming you ripped the case from the shellholder and can get the die out of the press

Offline Morax

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
hey bbf was you lookin in my window or something??  the base ripped right off, well not the whole base, but the entire rim, almost as if you put it in a lathe and cut it flush..  the stuck case remover didnt touch the dang thing, so i sat with the die upside down in the press and worked on it slow so i didnt tear up the die itself..  the decapper and the rod it sits on was a total loss though.

until today..  I called RCBS and talked to BRIAN.  asked price availability of it, was told its around 8 bucks, ok good deal lemme call you back when the wife gets home so i can credit card one of em..  he asked what happened, then turns around and says   well lets just put it under warrentee!!  gave him my address and its on its way!!     this is twice now that RCBS has done me so right that i donno what to do with myself!!  great company there!!   O0 O0 O0

BBF

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »
 ;D heh heh heh, after more then 40 years( truly) of re-loading there isn't a whole lot of screwups I haven't seen or done.
One of my more memorable situation was having a fired case stuck in the chamber of an old Topper(H&R) Single shot in 30-30. This was in Arizona and I wasn't about to drive home to get a cleaning rod to punch out that @#% case. Out comes my High Standard  snubby in 22 cal rimfire. One round down the muzzle of that rifle and the case came out clean. :twisted: 

Offline Morax

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »
ok now this has got to be saved somewhere in the volumes of crazy sh%$ that works!!   i woulda never thought of doing something like that! then again i have been known to do some real good ones that afterwards i just stood and scratched my head in disbelief that it worked.. ???

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:57:30 AM »
While you are filing just keep in mind that some of the things you hear around here are not recommended for the faint of heart. After saying that I will say that the best way I ever found to clean my chimney was to get it really warm, let the fire go out, and pull the flue pipe out of the chimney then insert a cylinder full of .38 bird shot and let loose with a few rounds straight up the flue. Chimney was 32 feet so I did not figure there was anything to worry about. Worked real well
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Morax

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:17 AM »
now i have heard of this before!!

Facebook Comments