October 20, 2017, 03:33:32 PM

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1225 times)

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Hey all! my name is rick and I'm a green hunter. I'm just gettin into the sport and any suggestions are gladly accepted. I hope to soon try my luck on some small game such as rabbits or squirrels.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »
Welcome to Gut Pile Style!!  With that name, you're going to fit right in.  We've got a lot of great squirrel and bunny slayers around here, so any questions - just ask.   O0
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »
Welcome to the pile. Small game is a great place to start and finish. Not so many folks do it these days. deer hunting can get very expensive, crowded and frustrateing. Squirrel hunting don't need to be any of that.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
Welcome to the GPS gang, meatisgood! I tell ya what, you are gonna fit in here real good.
These other rascals said it pretty good, small game is a good way to start and a good way to finish. That's the way we old Indians run our course, start small and finish small. We get a bit beat up with the big game half way through the race, but strive for the finish line.
I just gotta ask, you rifle hunt small game?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

turkeynutz

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »
welcome to the pile!!

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
Welcome to the GPS gang, meatisgood! I tell ya what, you are gonna fit in here real good.
These other rascals said it pretty good, small game is a good way to start and a good way to finish. That's the way we old Indians run our course, start small and finish small. We get a bit beat up with the big game half way through the race, but strive for the finish line.
I just gotta ask, you rifle hunt small game?

I have a .22LR as well as a .22 pellet that I plan to use, just not sure where to start
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
If you're bran new and never hunted before, I strongly encourage you to check out the message boards for any type of game (all types  O0 ) you want to hunt. Anyways here's my take on starting out with small game / .22

With a .22, takeable game is gonna be harder to hit with a rifle than a shotgun. Make sure you have it properly sighted in before you go hunting, as most of the shots you take with a rifle will be from farther away. .22's properly sighted I'll take game out to 75-100 yards, got an open sight on both of mine.  As for the pellet gun, all my shots are kept within about 35-40 yards, and use a scope cos my original sights are broken. It's a .177 but goes 1000 feet per second (fps) which is perfect for s hots inside 35 yards. Any further than that and although the pellet is 17 cal, it's very light and could go off target
If you're hunting squirrels you obviously have to scan both the trees and the ground. Lots of people use a 'stalk' technique which consists of walking a minute or so, then stopping to listen.  I'll just go out to spots i always see squirrels at and sit for a while, then when I pop one I'll go to the next spot since they'll be scared, and after I hit 4-5 spots circle back or call it a day.

Rabbits are a bit harder, especially with a rifle and not u sing dogs. Cottontails I'd just scan really thorny and brushy areas. You gotta go about it slowly as not to jump them, unless you're using a shotgun in which case kick up all the brushpiles and stomp around.  Rifle (and shotgun) best technique I find is to walk around in 'rabbitat', every so often like 30 paces stop, and sit for 3 minutes tops, then take one-two steps forward and immidiately stop again. Sometimes they won't move till you step on them.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Facebook Comments