November 22, 2017, 04:19:16 AM

Author Topic: Duck Blind Question  (Read 2353 times)

Offline ScottyO

Duck Blind Question
« on: September 15, 2004, 12:37:20 AM »
I have a friend, (an older gentleman) who is letting me use three duck blinds this comming season.   He has not hunted out of them for the last few years, and the blinds are now not much more than bare wooden boxes out on the river bank.
My question is this:  What is the best way to camouflage them for the waterfowl season?

I was thinking about tacking chicken wire (or rat wire) to the outside of the blind, and then shoving in some reeds and cedar branches.

Thanks for the help.

S.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Duck Blind Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 02:39:47 AM »
We usually use hogwire and poke the cover in the wire. Other wire will work, but the hog wire lasts for years.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Duck Blind Question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 09:00:12 AM »
One thing I'd like to add, Scotty, you may want to think about more than just waterfowl season. Hurry and do all your blind work now and then let it sit a while before using it.  During the rut, deer use these river bottoms like a superhighway. During a recent trip to KY, I discovered just how effective these duck blinds can be for deer. I crawled into an old duck blind I'd found, and the deer were so used to it being there, they paid no attention to it at all. I saw a lot of action on that trip, stayed dry in the rain, and had the best seat in the house.
 =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~  =P~
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline D45/70

Duck Blind Question
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »
:idea: You say that the "boxes" have been there for years? I think I'd leave them just the way they are. The ducks have seem them for a long time and know they are not a threat,same with the deer. If you make a lot of changes they may start to avoid them! 8)
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline ScottyO

Duck Blind Question
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 10:45:23 PM »
John,
Thanks.  I think I'll try the hogwire.  I am booked up for the next two weekends (fishing bass tournaments), but the next weekend I'll get started on those blinds.

Jake,
Funny you should mention that.  There is a huge buck that lives in and around that river bottom.   He has been seen quite a few times, but never during deer season (smart old buck); but he did almost get hit by a car last November.   I hope my friend Stan gets a shot at him this year.  I do all of my deer hunting on my own property.   I hunted  (with a bow) for a grand total of four hours last year, and killed three bucks, so needless to say, I don't need to deer hunt anywhere else.

D45/70,
I thought about the same thing, but I decided to camo the blinds.  One reason is that migratory birds won't remember what the blind looked like.  The other reason is that if there were some branches or reeds to look thru, breaking up our outline,  then maybe the ducks won't be able to see our faces, and therefore might not spook.

S.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Duck Blind Question
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 11:11:09 PM »
Some guys wrap their blinds with military surplus camo netting and then add cover. It works well, too. Years ago we had a large camo net that resembled cotton and burlap. We wrapped the blind with it and added surrounding tall prairie grass. The two man blind was invisible from just a few feet away.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments