November 24, 2017, 04:27:30 AM

Author Topic: Daily Results  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Bearman

• Applied for my club membership...
Daily Results
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »
Just thought I would start this all over again. Haven't set out my bait's yet. Not because I'm lazy, just a smart old fart that doesn't want(cause mommy said) to spend a ton of money on fuel. I always set my baits later than anyone else, and usually kill bigger bears. And I haven't been around very much. I've been working alot in Sarnia Ontario, and Detroit, and Toledo, Ohio. Both boys are busy working too, so I don't know how we will do killing bear this year. We are hoping to let the son inlaw get one with his bow this year. He doesn't hunt, but is starting to realize that he may have to start if he wants to be around us. He has been shooting his bow a lot and is getting really good. Anyhow I will try and keep everyone posted a little better this time, on our venture's. Just got back home this weekend and was at the boys blowing up beaver dams, on the weekend. Will set baits this weekend and see how things go.

Offline Bearman

Re: Daily Results
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »
Just got back home for the long weekend...yard work coming out of my $%^. Will be going into the bait tomorrow. Let ya all know how it went.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
of course i figure you have a secret wow cant spell this morning...   a special ingrediant you put into the bait mix,   but what i wanna know is what do ya normally put into the mix, as in corn and molassis or and just how about lets do it like this i walk up to ya and say ok show me how to bait bear..  and walk me through what i would have to do..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Bearman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »
Well morax, I'll give it my best shot. I started baiting bears the first year it was legal in Alberta, probably going on 20yrs. now. The first step is location,location,location. Look for bear habitat. spruce,popular, forest running into swampy areas. Perferably along a creek. bears travel creek and river drainages. The drainages also help disperse scent, which is the bears greatest sence. When first starting a bait, you need to use an attractant. keep a couple of 5gal pails full of fish, of fish guts out in the sun for a month. or is you have access use a beaver the same way. I'll tell you what, all you squirrell hunters out there, put a couple of skinned rats in a quart jar and leave it out for a week or two and you will have the worst smell ever. This will bring the bears to the site. Beaver is the candy of bears, but not accessable to everyone. The first year start with a variety of goodies. Bait with old bread, donuts, anything you clean out of the deepfreeze. If you have access to deepfryer greese, spread it on the ground in front of you bait barrel. The bears coming will leave a scent trail to the bait. Once you have bears hitting your bait switch it up to meat scrapes. keep the scrapes small so they have to get used to eating on site. If they quit hitting for a couple of days, don't worry about it, they just have gone back to grass, for their greens. In a few years, they will come naturaly, and you can used easier to pack food like oats, mixed with grease. Remember however the first year or two to rely on smell. as much stink, as you can. I will give you a second in the series, in a day or two. Are you going to hunt bear?

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »
So, how you coming along with the hunt? You folks sure contend with some tough hunting weather!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments