December 13, 2017, 08:01:44 AM

Author Topic: A few catfishes  (Read 3989 times)

turkeynutz

Re: A few catfishes
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
Them the size we noddle around here! They give you a good tug! Good fish dig!

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
diggindeep thats a nice fish.I havn`t even set out a jug or the lines yet.I have been doing all pole fishing from the bank.

What is your jug set-up like?

I just made 3 out of bleach bottles and attached 3ft of 40lb line with a number 2 circle hook and I am going to buy some float markers and adapt them to be used as jugs.

John I have used quite a bit of dough and dip baits but Sonny`s is the first that produced significant results.Plus you can call him and he will tell you some pretty colorfull stories about the dip bait industry!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:56:46 PM by Techno »

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
thanks guys ,i use any kinda jug i can but they have to be at least a 2 liter.i put about 25 feet of 180lb line on them (the heavy line is easy on your hands and the cats don't seem to care)or enough to hit bottom .if we are gonna watch them i use about 8Oz of lead,if we are going to leave them i use old 5lb weights.i have used all kinds of hooks and u would be amazed at how big of a hook a 5-10lb cat will swallow .we get big blues on cut bait allot but for the Flatheads we use live bait .i like to use small cat as bait ,i like to cut the tip of one of there fins so they swim funny .i have seen a cat take a 3 yes 3 liter strait down right in front of me and it never came back up !  :shock:

Offline digndeep400

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
tech how big are the fish u are going after

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »
tech how big are the fish u are going after

Mostly smaller catfish.The 2 poles I have now with reels are max 12lbs

I have been looking at Zebco`s new Hawg Seeker
http://www.zebco.com/products/hawgseekers.html

It looks like alot of fun.

turkeynutz

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
I watched guys use 100lb brade line and float perch with a balloon when I go striper fishen! They get it out bout 400 yards to the ledge of the warm wster channel, and bammy, they hawl in some big ones! I seen one that was 118lb. flathead one time! The guy had four fish and the smallest was 68lbs!

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »
Man catfish are huge.The fish coming out of the Mekong river in Thailand and the Rio Negro in Brazil are enormous!!

turkeynutz

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »
Cant see catchen one of them on a zebco 33 huh!! ;D

BBF

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »
 King of Fish?  sorry JA but I will give that title to Tuna and Salmon as Runner up :wink:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
King of Fish?  sorry JA but I will give that title to Tuna and Salmon as Runner up :wink:
I will have to agree with ya there, BBF! We are limited to catfish and few choices in this area, as for game fish.
As for Sonny, owner of Sonnys Bait, he lives just a few miles from home here and is well known in our area. He also delivers some of his product personally.
I have a catfish magazine that their writers mention Sonny quite often. Thing is, ol' Sonny himself is a catfisherman and one of the catfishing legends around the USA.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments