November 23, 2017, 11:45:53 AM

Author Topic: It`s that time again!  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
It`s that time again!
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
Don`t forget to get the yard treated with some bug killer.

I started back in April with the monthly spraying of Sevin.I can't stress enough how well it works in keeping the yard flea and tick free.Remember a large area that has never been treated before isn't going to "snap" into shape.

Rocksalt is great in the early season for killing flea larva.You would simply pour the rocksalt into a spreader and go to town.

Early season I use a bleach/water soulution in a pump sprayer and go over the yard.Making sure to get everything that is NOT metal.Metal will rust if you do not rinse the bleach off.

Once the bleach dries I cover the entire ground surface with Lime and soak.From the months of urine and feces hitting the ground the soil will stink and become high in acid.A high amount of acid will burn grass and most other "green" type plants.Things like firs and pines tend to lavish a soil with a high acid content.

Here is an example of grass growing in soil with a high acid content(Before) and grass growing in soil with a less acidic soil

I get my Lime at Tractor Supply for just a few bucks for 50lbs.I also use the lime in the trash can where all the feces goes.It helps keep the smell down in the warm months.

For flea and tick protection I have been using Bio-Spot.

I have talked with dog owners whom keep on top of the yard conditions as I do,frankly some of them I strive to be more like, and of those who use Bio-Spot.None have any tick or flea issues.I have a few friends who think taking care of the yard is non-sense and used Bio-Spot.They said by mid week 3 the Bio-Spot seemed to stop working.

2 in particular use Frontline with great sucess in yards containing fleas.

I have used it and liked it but the cost VS. the cost of Bio-Spot is treamendous.

I started using Cutter bug free back yard for those dastardly mosquitos

But I didn't see a notable difference for more than 2 days.I stick to the trusty Repel 40 bug spray for myself.

Make sure to KEEP those water bowls FULL and CLEAN!!

You can take metal bowls and freeze them about 3/4 full and set them out before you leave for work along with the main water bowl.

I know some folks who leave out a chunk of ice and the dogs love it.

Make sure there is a place for the dog to be out of the sun.It can be as simple as a full piece of plywood laid on one side of the doghouse to a shingled roof set-up.

Camo netting is great to use...and if your in the city like myself,it scares your neighbors a bit  ;D

Folks they put 110% out for you....make sure your doing the same!!!

turkeynutz

Re: It`s that time again!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »
Hell tech! Ibeen killen sense feb. here! Wasps, ants and your fav. TICKS! Nasty lil beggers! :tickedoff

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:18:45 PM »
Folks it's almost that time again...get and early start and your dogs will thank you  O0 O0 O0

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
Almost my butt Im still wadin through a F@#$% snow drift to feed the dogs  :tickedoff  Dam I miss Texas
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Almost my butt Im still wadin through a F@#$% snow drift to feed the dogs  :tickedoff  Dam I miss Texas

And you havn't been gone a full day yet  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
I have chickens to keep the ticks down in the yard, they free range..so I'm good there. Then I use advantage on the dogs for everything else.
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Offline Juandogg

• When in Doubt DTFB
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
hey tech I got a dog with long nails how do I trim them  ??? ???

I have chickens to keep the ticks down in the yard, they free range..so I'm good there. Then I use advantage on the dogs for everything else.
I tried the chicken thing only benefit I got outta them was I used less dog food fer a couple days  ;D
It takes patience to break a good hound. Ya gotta be persistent and it helps to be a lil smarter then the dog.

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »
hey tech I got a dog with long nails how do I trim them  ??? ???

Uhhh nail clippers  ;D ;D and for those that fight ya...Benadryl 20 minutes before hand  O0

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:14 PM »
Plott brought up a valid point on the phone...He says the best way to clip nails would be using this here....

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:06:12 PM by Techno »

Offline Jenny

• Happyness is a warm gun!
    • Foggy Bottom Girls
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
The pedi paws sucks!!!!! Atleast it does on the german sheperd. And all I smell was burnt nails, ewe!!!!
Jenny - Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a God. -Francis Bacon Sr.

Facebook Comments