November 18, 2017, 02:47:33 PM

Author Topic: FLYS  (Read 3215 times)

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
FLYS
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
If any of you out the have problems with the flys as I do around the kennels try this trap out.

2-3 liter plastic bottle  no lid needed.
jam or honey
scissors
water

simply cut a bottle into three parts:

cut 2 thirds of the way up and again just blow the neck.

put water into the large section, discard the center section, turn the top part upside down on top of the large section and put jam or honey on the inside of the nozzle.

to make sure honeybees cannot fall for this trap apply 1/4 cupful of vinegar.

place the trap in shade if possible to stop the jam/honey melting

and heres one for fly paper,

2 C. milk
2 T. black pepper
2 T. white sugar
2 T. brown sugar

Brown paper bags, cut into strips. Boil milk, pepper, and sugar together for 5 minutes. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes longer, until thickened, and then let cool.

Wind the brown paper strips into a tight roll and drop them into the milk mixture. Let them become completely saturated. Rewind the strips gently and let them air dry on a cookie sheet. They are ready to hang when they are sticky to the touch.
To use, suspend the strips up and out of the way wherever flies are a problem.

both of these methods have worked well for me, let me know if they work for any of you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:36:53 PM by meatisgood »
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: FLYS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
I forgot also a recipe for repellent that was made by a horse breeder but also works great on dogs,

Combine ingredients and use in spray bottle.

2 cups white vinegar
1-cup water
cup lemon juice
1-cup Avon Skin So Soft
1 Tablespoon eucalyptus oil

just spray on the dogs once or twice a day and it works great, just don't soak the dogs with it. I found this works great with stable flies just remember to add little vaseoline to the tips of the ears for added protection.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
Nice post, meatisgood!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »
Thanks JA, I really hope it helps, I use a stink bait in my traps and it works great, any old catfish stink will work. My dogs were getting hammered by the flies but the repellent works good, but I also added some pure citronella oil to the mix (about 1/4 cup) and it works Better just make sure its pure or else it wont work as well. If any of you out there find a better homemade method let me know, I'm looking for one for the fleas, they seem to be really bad this year in this area.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline Techno

• Thats right!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
Meat you can be pretty aggressive when fighting those dastardly fleas.In the early spring you can cover the yard,kennel or chain space with rock salt.That will kill all of the flea larva and they will not hatch.

Sevin is organic,cheap and easy to put down.

Bio-Spot is a cheap and easy topical.Frontline and Advantage are great but not very cost effective.I use Bio-Spot along with Sevin monthly and don't have problems with fleas.Yet my neighbor says his dogs and yard have them pretty bad.

You can use Sevin 5 in the doghouse mixed with the bedding.It can also be used directly on the dog as a rub.

ONLY Sevin 5 can be used on the dog or in the house.The regular stuff will kill the dog.I have heard folks who have used the regular stuff with no ill effects,then I have heard of dead dogs hours after the regular stuff was used.

You can use the flea foggers in the house...they work pretty good.Though you can't leave any dogs in the house while your using the fogger.

Once you get the yard and the dog taken care off the house will follow suit pretty quick.

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Thanks Tech I'll go to the garden store and pick up a bag of Sevin and try it out.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
Bugs have been terrible here. The local remedy is to apply a tad of Asorbine Jr. It works good on dogs, too. The stuff repels gnats really well, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:16:08 AM »
Here ya go.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »
Nice preying mantis, don't get to see to many of them round here.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »
I breed them. Got a bunch of eggsacks in the mail a few years back and set them up all over the yard. When the foliage falls of I just go collect a bucketload of eggsacks and keep them inside till spring, then re-set them into the yard. We got cherry, apple, plumb trees, roses, vegetable garden, blackberry bushes etc... Best pesticide ever. Plus they make cool pets. This one gets to run around on my aloe vera plants and mushrooms in the house if gnats start causing problems. He's still small enough to eat them.  The females get green and huge one of them was 8.5 inches last year.
[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Facebook Comments