October 17, 2017, 02:05:42 AM

Author Topic: stick bow  (Read 3230 times)

Offline recurve11

stick bow
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »
Does anyone else out there shoot a longbow or recurve? What kind? What arrows? What broadhead? I shoot a Sovereign archery Ballistik recurve with 2216 aluminum arrows and old Bear archery two blade broadheads.
recurve

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: stick bow
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
Well I picked up a Bear recurve 55 pounds this spring.I have been playing around shooting the carbon 5575 gold tips. I have a couple 2213 left over from the old days.I just haven't had the time to devote to it this year.I plan on trying it next year with the 100 grain mangus broad heads.This year I will stick with the old faithful compound.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline recurve11

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »
This year I will stick with the old faithful compound

You cann't beat a good compound for accuracy. I really miss that part. I don't miss the hand shock, the constant tuning, and the weight. I pick up a compound now and it feels like I'm picking up a cinderblock. I just have to practice more and hope I can get a deer within 15 yds.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
Well my compound doesn't weigh a lot bare bow 3.9.The recurve is a lot lighter. I have same problem but kinda in reverse.I shoot a lot with compound year around.When I try an shoot recurve it is so lite.I use to shoot a lot of recuve when I was younger have in awhile but slowly coming back to me.
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline recurve11

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
I went reverse on bows. Wife bought me  a bear whitetail for my 30 bd in 82 to get another month of me out of her hair. Been hooked ever since. Graduated to pse vector(prone to explode) 5 yrs. later and got my first deer. Last compound I had was a browning back in 1995. Can't even remember if it was single cam or not. Anyway a 15 yd. shot isn't too hard to find if your in a target rich enviroment like what I'm lucky enough to have. Any further I'd have to go back to a compound

Offline Bearman

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
I started out with a recurve. I love them, and now collect them and longbows. I went to a compound, and now would like to start making the transition back. The only problem is the commitment to practice time. When I was peeked out with my recurve, I could shoot as well as the compound shooters in our archery club, but I used to shoot everyday. I have over thirty bows right now but my favorite is a custom made Jack Kemph 52" takedown. It is a sweet bow. I still use cedar arrows that I crest myself. Man I gotta get back at it. Have a few good tails from the old recurve days. If you know of any around for sale let me know.

Offline Nuss

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
 The stick bow has been a way of life for me for a long time.
  My go-to bow is a Black Widow MA3, Easton Legacy 2315 arrows, and my broadhead is and has been for a very long time a 2 blade Ace Standard.
  I am working with some Grizly Stick - Alaskan's for my arrow set up.

Tim

May your campfires burn bright and all of your arrows fly true.

Offline goclimbarock007

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
I started building a hickory bow last year. It's still in Georgia until I can get the rest of my stuff moved to Texas. I have to finish tillering it and add a handle.

Offline LONGBOWJIM

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:22:32 PM »
Keep the faith! I have a recurve Bear Kodiak Magnum I have had for 30+ years my older brother-in-law gave me as a kid. I didn't know about arrow spine or fletching back then and still had a ball stalking frogs, squirles and rabbits arround the local farms. As a teen I got into compound and crossbows as a way to "kill something." went to compound bows for several years and am proud to say have devolved back to my roots. I have taken both deer and turkey over the last 5 years with longbow and recurve. I have several bows of different makes and models. I still have my old bow and 2 years ago I harvested a doe with it and a hand made wooden arrow with hand cut turkey fletching and a Magnus broadhead. My personal favorite is a Herb Meland custom longbow I picked up in a pawn shop for a song. I shoot carbon arrows because of thier durrability and the fact that if you are off somewhere and loose or break some of your arrows you can find replacements at a local retail store. I carry a hand fletchig jig and glue in my day pack and can be back in buisness in a short while. I still turkey hunt with a compound just because of the ability to hold at full draw for a while and the small compact size while hunting from a groun blind. Your range will increase as you get more comfortable with your tackle. I don't think about range anymore I just look at my target and know if I can make the shot. If I am on my game I can pinwheel a squirel at 30 yds. but the next day I may pass on a shot on a doe at 20 because it doesn't feel right.
 PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...............  Above all else have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and God bless. LONGBOWJIM

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
I started shooting a recurve before I started hunting. Then I went a year in the woods and barely got 1 shot off(which the deer completely jumped). After a while I got a compound and shot some deer last year with it. I just met all the guys in our local traditionalists club, so they are getting me back into the slow things. I highly doubt my 45# recurve has enough energy to quickly kill an animal, though-eve with my weighted arrows and razor sharp magnus heads. I also hate the snap of the string againt the limb tips. Luckily I am curing so sassafras staves and reading a lot about bowyer-ing. Hopefully I will have my own longbow made by the end of the season.

Those shooters are just as good as compound hunters at close distances. The main advantage a compound has over them is speed/less arrow drop-it is much easier to judge distance and make long shots with the straighter trajectory of a compound. But out to 20 yards, these guys can shoot acorns.

Facebook Comments