October 23, 2017, 11:20:27 AM

Author Topic: stick bow  (Read 3235 times)

turkeynutz

Re: stick bow
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »
I started out with a stick bow and back to usen one now. My first was a Old Pearson 45lb short bow, and now I got a take down 50lb. I have made two bows out of Bodark, but found out quick I suck at the builden part. ;D I have used ceder, alum. and carbon and the best one was and is 2219 alum. with 100g. muzzy's

Offline Tenderfoot

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »
Bodark? How's that wood carve/behave?

turkeynutz

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
Bodark? How's that wood carve/behave?
Its Hedgeapple wood. You can work it real good and it has back bone for the poundage you need. Its hard to find a peice thats straight with not alot of knots in it. I went for a peice that was 80" long and skin the bark off asap. Then let it soak in water to drawl the white sap out takes bout 4-6 months if its nice out. If your not soaking it you need to put a sealer on each end to keep the bugs out and slow down the cracking. Still need to remove the bark though. You can get up to 4 bows out of a nice peice too. You just have to quarter it.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
Sounds like Ossage. I think it is the same yellow wood, am I correct? It doesn't grow around here, and I am too cheap to buy some, but I hear it'll make a fair bow.

turkeynutz

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:57 PM »
Sounds like Ossage. I think it is the same yellow wood, am I correct? It doesn't grow around here, and I am too cheap to buy some, but I hear it'll make a fair bow.
It is hard to get a good peice to work with. But its everywhere in Okla. and I got several on my new place here in Mo. too.

Offline Tenderfoot

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »
Iand I got several on my new place here in Mo. too.

Not for long??? And congrats on the new place. I hadn't heard about that. How many acres? What is the layout of the topography etc?

turkeynutz

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
We got bout 280 acres behind our house. Two stands of timber. Bout 20 acres I would say. Got deer in and around them all day long. The bucks started up right after gun season ended here.(scraps and rubs) I have seen two diff. bucks and 8 doe's off and on the past 3 months. Actualy seen 3 doe's this morn. about 9:30 eaten on some pecans just north of the house.

Facebook Comments