October 19, 2017, 03:18:41 AM

Author Topic: IBO arrow weights hunting  (Read 1635 times)

Offline L8hntr

IBO arrow weights hunting
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »
 :-\I need some help to figure out what arrow to shoot with my new MathewsDXT. I want to shoot IBO but do not know an arrow i can get that will weigh 250 grains at 28 inches. I used to always shoot amo istead of ibo but know bows are set up for the abuse. I shoot a 29 inch draw at 70 lbs with a 100 grain 3 blade rage broadhead. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: IBO arrow weights hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:21:06 AM »
Well I have a 29 inch draw, 74 pounds.I shoot a 5575 gold tip xt with a 4 inch feather 100 grain tip,a white wrap at 27 1/4 inches weights in at 367 grains.With out the wrap is 352 grains.
The cheetah 45/70 with the 4 inch feather is real close to it finished weight.

Bare shaft xt is like 8.1 gr cheetah is 6.7 or 7.0 gr.gold tip ultra light is like 6.2gr

Personally for hunting I would shoot the gold tip xt's just because there more durable
you can run but you will only leave a blood trail

Offline GotstaHunt

• Applied for my club membership...
  • Hunt Hard, Rest When Your Dead !!!
    • KaRu Lures
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
Be careful shooting IBO weights. Your bow can only take so many shots at those weights before its permanatly damaged plus you won't have good kenetic energy down range for a clean kill or pass thru. Try the GT XT hunters like bighoytman suggested and you'll be fine, I shoot the same arrow. JM .02
Hunt Hard, Rest When Your Dead!!!
R&R Sports
2014 N. 2nd St.
Clinton, Iowa
Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois Premier Archery and Hunting Store
Featuring Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Parker, Martin, Liberty, Bennelli, Beretta, Franchi, Remington, Mossberg, Stoeger, Lone Wolf Treestands, KaRu Lures and many others.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »
Well Mathews is a quality bow but everything has it limits.The IBO is set with nothing on the bow string but a tied  knot and a short serving.I could be wrong but I believe the DXT is claimed 322 IBo. With a peep,loop, full length serving,  tied servings for peep.Then depending on rest selection could drop close to 30 fps. A whisker biscuit rest will slow it down more yet. Just a close guess I would say you will get around 290FPS. Just food for thought The Mathews bow is a very quite bow but the lighter you go will put more noise and energy back into the bow. The AMO rating is pretty heavy.If you stay close to IBO like 365 to 370 You will pick up noticeable speed over AMO weight arrows without risking you or your bows safety

Offline GotstaHunt

• KaRu Lures
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
We chronoed a few DXT's in our shop for customers with different setups and most were between 265 fps and 282 fps. Definatly have a noticable hand shock on the DXT.
R&R Sports
2014 N. 2nd St.
Clinton, Iowa
Featuring Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Parker, Martin, Liberty, Bennelli, Beretta, Franchi, Remington, Mossberg, Stoeger, Lone Wolf Treestands, KaRu Lures and many others.

Offline bighoytman

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
I might have been a touch high on my figure and I also forgot to subtract some for the 29 inch draw (not the 30 inch IBO) I would say your figures are on the money.Alot  depends on how the bow is set up.Personally if your looking for a faster speed around 300fps I would look into other bow companies.I personally have shot Mathews in the past nice bows just not a speed demon type bow.

Offline GotstaHunt

• KaRu Lures
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
I agree, if you are looking for speed try a Bowtech 82nd airborne. Fastest bow I have ever shot or the Hoyt Katera for an all around fast hunting bow. Both of these bows have a 6" brace height though so you need to have good form  :wink:
R&R Sports
2014 N. 2nd St.
Clinton, Iowa

Facebook Comments