December 14, 2017, 07:47:47 PM

Author Topic: beagles for squirrels???  (Read 3949 times)

Offline gottahunt

• Applied for my club membership...
beagles for squirrels???
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:03:52 AM »
i dont know if its a good idea too but i got a little purebred beagle pup whos just about 4months old and want to get him huntin :!: i have a friend that does starter dogs and will help me out with the pheasants but said he doesnt get many squirrel dog requests... so does anyone have beagles or have any ideas for training them to be squirrel dogs :?:  :?:  :?:
THE SECOND AMENDMENT
IS THE ORIGNAL
HOMELAND SECURITY

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
beagles for squirrels???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:51:55 AM »
Gottahunt, your best bet is to get John Andrews and Firekidd to give their feedback to you on this one.  They've both got dogs they're training for squirrels.  All I've got are 2 "mutts" that just chase them if any get in the back yard! :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
beagles for squirrels???
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »
Yes Gottahunt I've seen beagles used as squirrel dogs, as well as coon dogs. The only thing is, they have to be taught to tree. My dogs are running dogs(rabbit, foxes, cats, deer, etc.). They will run a coon or possum just as quick but when it trees, the race is over and they go searching for something else to run. A beagle will make a fine tree dog or running dog if he's trained. Most people don't like beagles to tree because if a rabbit hits a hole, they will be right there until you come get him---- not fun for rabbit hunters. The best advice I can give is to pick one and stick with it. Someone made a comment in another post that very few dogs have the ability to hunt both squirrels and rabbits, and I have to agree. There's an entirely different set of rules for each and to expect a dog to go both ways, I think, would be asking too much. Heck, it takes me a week or two to change quarry and, even though my wife may disagree, I'm much smarter than my dogs.(I think) :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
beagles for squirrels???
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 03:16:52 AM »
Thanks, BC, for the vote of confidence! I think a beagle would make a great squirrel dog. One of my brothers had a beagle mix dog, and he was a great squirrel dog, and he would run rabbits, too. I don't advise using your dog for both. Probably, he will only be good at one or the other. If you try the rabbits and then try to hunt him for squirrels, you are in for trouble for the squirrel hunting. I started my pup with squirrel hides, in the house. I had my wife hold the pup where the pup couldn't see me and what I was doing with the hide. I would drag a trail and then hide the squirrel hide. I would then have wife put the dog down and tell her to find it. Sometimes, I would have to put her on the trail. She picked it up really quick. She also naturally started using her sight to spot the hide, to find it quicker. She remembered every place I had hidden the hide before, and would check all of them, unless I would interrupt her and make her trail the scent. She picked it up really quick. Before the training, I fed her squirrel meat scraps and let her maul a few dead squirrels, just to get her introduced to them. Keep your pup really razzed up during training, which really helps, too.  Also, be sure to really let the dog know how happy you are when he does good. It won't actually take that much training, because when she figures it out she is looking for squirrels, she will learn very quickly, using her instincts. I have a Basset hound pup, just about 7 weeks old, and he is going to be a squirrel dog, too. Not rabbit, only squirrel.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

squirrel dogs
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:28:30 PM »
most dogs can work for squirrel, for years i used my moms chijuaua, after i noticed he hated squirrels and would run around the tree barking at them

Facebook Comments