November 18, 2017, 09:05:28 AM

Author Topic: woodchucks can get you hunting land!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
woodchucks can get you hunting land!
« on: September 22, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »
i have two farms now that i hunt , because i like to shoot woodchucks with my bow. most farmers hate woodchucks  like an inlaw coming for along visit. i always stop and chat a moment with any farmer i see on the road, and always ask if they have woodchuck troubles. since i hunt them with a bow i can nail them around the barns and outbuildings and not worry the farmer too much. after nailing a few chucks i usually get invited to hunt in general. and sometimes the farmers are surprised by what fine table fare a woodchuck can be. it never hurts to deliver a nicely cooked meal to say thanks for a good hunt.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 09:50:22 PM »
I've gotten permission a couple of times doing that (when I was younger and had more time!!!).  In KY, our groundhog (woodchuck) populations are cyclic to a certain extent.  There'll be years when we're overrun with them, then other years that you can't find one to save your soul.

Have you ever shot one out of a tree?  I did several years ago.  I heard something and looked up and saw this huge critter up in the tree about 15 feet.  Shot it out.  When it hit the ground, I was surprised to find a ground hog!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 02:08:50 AM »
BC, yep. I have shot 3 out of trees.  that I remember. Most people haven't seen groundhogs in trees, but the groundhogs climb really well.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments