November 19, 2017, 08:49:19 PM

Author Topic: I need some help with his age!  (Read 1119 times)

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
I need some help with his age!
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »

Can some of you guys tell me how old you think this guy is?

Offline meatisgood

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: I need some help with his age!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »
I'd say at least a year and half or two. Looks like he still has the velvet on his antlers, nice pic. ;D
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
"Ted Nugent"

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
They will be velvet at least another month or so. Some friends of mine have killed deer at the start of bow season before that was still in velvet. He looks good to me too! My boy thinks it would look better on his bedroom wall.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »
Velvet can be deceiving.  He looks good and thick, but I think the majority of it is the velvet.  He's at least 2, but probably 3.  He's got good length and what looks like a decent spread.

What state are you in?  That'll give a little better idea of the genetics.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline J-BUCKS

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »

Here is another picture that I got in June. I don't know if the Buck in front is the same one as in the first picture or not. I moved the camera and was able to get that first picture. BigCal, I am in South Georgia and hunt in an area that is known for some impressive bucks. How much would a rack change in 44 days? Would it be possible for the second buck in this picture also be the buck in the first picture? Would the rack growth be that much in such a short time? Just a few questions to help with the learning of my favorite pastime!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:43 AM »
I'd say the first buck (farthest away) is your buck.  Antler tissue is the fastest growing tissue known to man, with it growing up to an inch in 24 hours.  A rack can only develop as much as genetics, nutrition, and age will let it though.  A yearling buck won't have as big of a rack as an older buck, so his rack won't "grow" as much as the older bucks will.

I'd say for Georgia, that's a 3 year old (3.5 during hunting season).  That's just a guess though based on what the antlers look like, since I can't see that much of the deer's body.  If you were somewhere up north, I'd say that the deer was probably 2 years old.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Tenderfoot

• John Andrews is my hero
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
Shut the heck up! I got a little spare time this weekend and some gas money. I'm a find that bugger before you! Nice deer, he's old enough that he's gunna start wandering onto your neighbors land and get shot by them if you don't take him now. I still aint seen a buck over 5 pts anywhere, muchless in my stand. I am holdin out for the first new moon of december. Then I'll put a couple full day sits over some nice doe infested corn piles and see who passes through. ;D After about 4 years old I don't see too many bucks-they get too smart to show themselves to me.

Facebook Comments