November 18, 2017, 06:32:49 PM

Author Topic: Forest/where are the animals?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Big Papa

Forest/where are the animals?
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:09:38 AM »
Hey folks....I am going hunting for the first time Oct 8th but I went scouting and the trees are full of leaves I saw one nest out of about 45acres now I didn't walk the whole forest (very thick forest) but I saw no bushytails  ....did some siting but still hard to see anything with all the leaves any Ideas on how to find 'em nuts were everywhere but heck everything in the forest eats them can't use a rifle conservation land so I am taking a brand new 20 gauge Remington  I will go about 6 in the morn and just sit I guess. Help if you got some stratagies ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)
Big Papa is here!!

Offline Rusty25

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 04:45:29 PM »
I always stick to the trails and walk slower. If you walk slow while scouting, walk slower and wastch every step. you should be hunting with your ears rather than with your eyes. you'll always hear them before you can see them. stick to the walk one time sit three times rule.

when I hear one i just stay still untill i see it. I like stalking better than still hunting. but if you find a nice spot you can sit for 15-20 minutes and you will see one or two.

with shotgun i rather walk because you you can take shots really fast and you don't have aim for the head.

They are there. You just have to wait them out.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 10:06:55 PM »
What neck-of-the-woods are you in Big Papa?  The way I hunt, rifle or shotgun, is to WATCH AND LISTEN!!!  I hunt in KY, where there are plenty of oaks and hickorys.  The way I hunt is to take a few steps (3-15) and then stand beside a tree and watch and listen.  Watch for erratic movement of tree limbs/leaves.  Listen for squirrels barking, them cutting, or nuts and hulls falling from trees.  The two main things as far as listening are cutting and stuff falling.  I've heard squirrels cutting on nuts well over 100 yds away.  Hone in on that.  I've also watched squirrels cut on nuts and not make a sound as far as the cutting...........but there was still stuff falling! :D   If you hear a bunch of stuff hitting leaves (falling from the trees) in a certain direction, keep listening!!!!!!!!!!  If there's a heavy dew or if oaks are dropping their acorns, you'll hear stuff falling.  It will be randon though.  You'll get used to the sounds of that stuff.  What you're listening for is a radical bunch of leaves swishing together or a bunch of nuts falling in one place at one time (a squirrel jumping).  Also listen for a steady falling of stuff from one place (squirrel cutting).  You may not hear it cutting the nut, buy you can hear the stuff falling hitting the leaves.

The main thing is to just get out there!!!! :D   Any time spent in the woods isn't wasted! :D   Just take a few steps, stand and watch and listen.  Just about any piece of woods will do.

Hope this helps!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:40:20 AM »
Ol' BC is a hard as flint squirrel hunter, and knows his stuff. Yep, get out in the woods and you will learn in very short order on how to find squirrels. :D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big Papa

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 02:39:18 PM »
Big Cal   I live in Lees Summit Mo   I am going tommarow morn at 6 with my Remmington 20g   I will let you guys know how your advice works..... Thanks for all your thoughts and advice
Big Papa is here!!

Facebook Comments