October 19, 2017, 10:41:13 AM

Author Topic: YO!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3660 times)

Offline nOnAmE

• GP's New Project.... ; )
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • TurkeyNutz' Stunt Double
YO!!!!!!!!!!
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:05:08 PM »
So, I've been floating around the forums for quite sometime now and I thought it was about time I register.

I'm 25 year old dude outta Howell, MI and I'm a total hunting n00b.  I was raised a city boy by a single mom so I never really had anyone to get me into hunting, camping, etc.  If fact, I used to have a mild case of OCD and hated getting dirty and being outdoors until I first watched "Man vs. Wild" on the Discovery Channel and that show cured me! - I know it sounds weird but It's true.

My first "hunting" experience is a good one, so I shall share:
I went over to my cousins house a couple of months ago and kept talking about getting some squirrel to eat.  So we went into town to fill up his propane tank for the grill and on the way back to his house, coincidentally, we spot a squirrel chilling in the road.  So my cousin slams on the gas and totally owns that thing!  We were laughing so hard that we were crying!  We threw that thing on the hood of his car and took it back to his house, cleaned it up and I took it home and made a Cajun dish from a recipe that I found on the internet. It was super delicious!

So now I'm hooked.  Every animal I see I want to kill it and eat it! ;D
I have yet to get anything since then but I came close to snaring a raccoon last weekend.

Anyways, this site is great!  BC's critter cleaning section is awesome and I've been studying it intensely.

:D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:59:10 PM by nOnAmE »

turkeynutz

Re: YO!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Welcome to the pile bud. Been hunten yet?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
Glad to have you around. O0  If you've been lurking for a while, then you've seen what this bunch is like. :idiot2

;D ;D ;D

We're not the most "politically correct" bunch on the net ( :roll: ), but we have a good time.  Ask questions if you don't know or want to know something.  We've got enough people on here that have just about done anything you could wonder about.  Someone should be able to answer you. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
Welcome to the pile bud. Been hunten yet?
No not yet, unfortunately.  I haven't had much time lately.  And even more of a factor...I have no firearms or equipment of any kind.

I'm trying to save up to buy a rifle but I don't have a clue about anything.
Although it seems y'all are pretty fond of the .17 HMR.  But is there anything relatively inexpensive and more versatile?  Say, something that can take small and large game?

Glad to have you around. O0  If you've been lurking for a while, then you've seen what this bunch is like. :idiot2

;D ;D ;D

We're not the most "politically correct" bunch on the net ( :roll: ), but we have a good time.  Ask questions if you don't know or want to know something.  We've got enough people on here that have just about done anything you could wonder about.  Someone should be able to answer you. O0
Haha yea you guys have been crackin me up!
Politically correct?  I don't even know what that means. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »
Honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, for versatility get a shotgun.  ;D  I'm partial to rifles myself, but for versatility, you can't beat a shotgun.  You can take 1 gun and just by switching the type of ammo, can hunt anything and everything.  You should be able to pick up a good used shotgun at a pawn shop for very little.  Remington 870's are good guns.  Generally, when they're pointed at something, that something dies.  Not to mention they're dang near indestructible! :shock:  I watched a guy in our goose blind one year do "repairs" on the action of his with a hammer and straight screwdriver. :idiot2 ;D

Once you get tired of picking shot out of stuff, biting down on pieces of shot when you're eating the critters, and want a little more of a challenge, then get a rifle.  The little .17 HMR is a cool little round, and accurate as all get out, but can get a little pricey after a while if you do much shooting.  The pitiful little .22 L.R. is, and probably always will be, KING of the rimfires.  Many a critter has been brought down with a .22 L.R.  The rimfires are for small game (rabbits / squirrels).  For deer, you should go up around at least .240 cal or larger.  .270 Win and .30-06 Sprg are recommended though and are some of the most popular calibers for deer.

But starting out though, especially with limited resources, go get a shotgun.  Either 20 or 12 gauge (preferably the 12 gauge).  Watch yard sales during the summer and you can usually pick up camo clothes pretty cheap.  Go by some Army Surplus stores and get some camo from them (cheap and decent quality).  You don't have to be a millionaire to start hunting, but it will take a little money.  Start saving your pennies and get a little stuff as you go. O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
LoL
Thx BC, that's some great info!

I didn't realize that it's as simple as switching shot sizes.
I will definitely have to check out those 870's.
What is the benefit of a 12 gauge over a 20?

Sorry, I suppose this should have been posted in the firearms section. :uglystupid2

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »

What is the benefit of a 12 gauge over a 20?

More shot, more power, more range. O0  You'll also have more recoil, but if that's an issue, get a LimbSaver recoil pad for it. O0  Also, the availability of ammo is better with 12 gauge, as well as different "types" of ammo.

You can also shoot slugs out of the shotgun for deer. :twisted:  A rifled slug barrel would be best for this, but as long as you limit the range of your shots to where you can group well, then you don't have to have a rifled barrel.  Some of the modern day slugs are designed to be very accurate out of smooth bores.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

BBF

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
Buying stuff out of the Army Navy Stores might even get you something that is NOT Made in China

turkeynutz

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »
 You'll also have more recoil, but if that's an issue, get a LimbSaver recoil pad for it.

[/quote]I have to differ with you on that. I have used the slip ons and the permanate type of limbsavers and wasted money. No diff. than those 10 dollar recoil pads you can get bout every ammo store. Thats why I went down to a 20 gauge. It just makes you be more accurate and selective on your shot. Be it turkey or deer.

Offline nOnAmE

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Remington 870's are good guns.
Right after I got done reading this a guy I work with walked by, and I asked him if he has any guns he wants to sell me and he says "Yea I have a Remington 870."
Hahaa.
It's a wingmaster in good condition.  He is gonna bring it into work tomorrow.  He said that I could buy it for $75.  Seems like a damn good deal to me! :shock:

Buying stuff out of the Army Navy Stores might even get you something that is NOT Made in China
LoL...does such a garment actually exist?

Facebook Comments